LegacyGT.com

headlamp replacement

tekkitan

I found out a couple days ago my driver side headlamp is blown. Believe it or not, I've never had to replace one.

I have a 2000 Legacy GT Limited. Is there something that Advance or AutoZone would have that would get it back to working condition again? I have stock headlamps, I havn't upgraded them yet.

Any help or part numbers is appreciated :)

Do you need bulbs or the whole piece? I think the low beam is H3 and the highs are 9005. The manual will tell you. You can find bulbs anywhere, there is usally a book or computer that you can look up your model in.

I like PIAA for aftermarket bulbs.

I have Silverstars in both cars. If you get them on sale, they are a nice upgrade over stock. Well for me they were, you have a '00, so your stock lights might be better to begin with.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I hate to throw this in, but I'm not the only person who's had nothing but bad luck with SilverStars. Mine would blow on a regular basis, which is very common per the forums. Rest assured, it's not due to carelessness in install... my other bulbs have performed flawlessly. I'll save you the step of searching:

link 1

link 2

I have Silverstars in both cars. If you get them on sale, they are a nice upgrade over stock. Well for me they were, you have a '00, so your stock lights might be better to begin with.

Yup. Mine are at 15 months and still going.........knock on wood.

Some Grand Am owners have also had problems with Silverstars dying out after only a couple months. I've had mine in for over a year in both cars and no problems so far.

Could also be that certain bulb types just die out quicker. Leg has 9003's, GA has 9007's.

I wonder if Silverstars are made at different plants, then "rebadged" just as most oil and air filters are??

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Supposedly, there are two grades, one of which is stateside, and the other is Osram or something? Either way, most posts I've read say that the local Pep Boys Silverstars have their tendencies to burn quick (which totally matches their history in my car), and the other grade that is available online will hold up to time.

I got some PIAA high beams and some lows from Daniel Stern Lighting, and they've been going for well over a year... maybe two or more, I can't remember when I replaced them last!

I think the low beam is H3 and the highs are 9005.

Nope...low beam is H1, and high beam is 9005. H3 is the fog light bulb. I know because I just changed out both of my low beams a few days ago. It is pretty easy in these cars, too, and requires no tools.

- Rotate the cap on the back of the headlight assembly about 60-degrees or so counterclockwise (which will release it), then move it to the side (as far as you can considering it is still attached).

- Unplug the two blade connectors from the low beam headlight bulb

- Push in the spring clip to release it and swivel it out of the way

- Pull out the bulb

- Do it all in reverse to re-install making sure not to touch the lens of the new bulb. :)

The hardest part was working around the intake scoop thingy on the passenger side bulb (which can easily be removed if it becomes too much problem). The driver side bulb was a cinch. :D

Archived