LegacyGT.com

Change oil on "new" MY06?

Picked up my wife's new MY06 OXT on Monday. Very very nice :)

Obviously since this is last years model, the oil has been in the car for at least ~1 year. The car had ~30 miles on, then racked up 200 miles to be driven to the dealer near me (dealer transfer).

It occurred to me that maybe even with the low miles I should change the oil to begin with just because it has been in there awhile.

I may be mistaken, but I think the issue with old yet low mileage oil is condensation? Probably this matters more if the engine is warmed/cooled more times with the low mileage, as compared to being driven maybe once a month for a few miles over the course of the year?

I have no qualms with swapping in new oil & filter, just want to make sure it's not completely silly first. :)

I already planned on changing it at 1k miles or sooner. That may be silly too, but if there really is any amount of wear occurring with a break-in process then I want that crap out of my oil :)

I'll stick with Castrol 10/30 dino oil for the first several K miles.

-Adrian

while i don't think it will necessarily hurt anything to change it early, i would hold off until at least 3750 according to the manual.

its always a big debate on keeping the oil in during break-in or not...when in doubt i just follow the manual.

also if you check the build date i doubt the car was actually built a year ago. i have an '06 i bought in March and it was build in the beginning of '06.

I'd say since you asked about it....if you don't change it, honestly it's going to bug the living sh!t out of you for the next 1000 miles. It'll be, what?....$20 tops for conventional and a Subaru filter and crush washer? It's one of those cases where the personal piece of mind is worth more than the actual gain. I'd proably leave it for at least 1000 miles myself though. The early mileage oil change is more about getting the wear metals out of the engine then it is about break-in and allowing the rings to seat. The engine will be "breaking in" for many thousand miles, and the crucial ring seat process is *usually* most critical during the first few hundred miles, and some say even earlier.

Oil itself doesn't really go bad from just sitting though. I think Mobil recommends an oil change of at least once a year on low mileage vehicles.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Might have been include din the dealer "new car" prep.

You could call but who knows if you'd get an honest answer.

But, they did change the oil in my "new" car as part of the prep. Similar, it had been sitting on the lot for a while.

Change it.

Cars today don't ship with "break-in" oil... it's just regular oil.

Old (dino) oil will simply deteriorate in quality over time. Synthetics don't do this, but that's not what's in there to start with... and you don't want to use synth too early in the car's life.

I thought new cars today ship with oil that has additional additives that you want to keep in your engine for a bit longer on your first oil change. I know Honda has been doing this for about a decade and I thought all the other cars did this to extend engine life. Any thoughts, comments welcome as I have anew 06 legacy 2.5i and was wondering when the best time was to do the first oil & filter change. BTW: has anyone tried K&N oil filters...does it help any at all vs stock oil filters?

Change it.

Cars today don't ship with "break-in" oil... it's just regular oil.

Old (dino) oil will simply deteriorate in quality over time. Synthetics don't do this, but that's not what's in there to start with... and you don't want to use synth too early in the car's life.

I don't know what Subaru does, but I am sure that Honda has a break in additive in their oil from the factory. They don't recommend changing the oil until the first normal oil interval. Honda's engine computer keeps track of how you drive and estimates when a good time to change the oil. It's usually in the 5000 mile ballpark.

Off-topic, BTW, did you know that Honda and Subaru oil filters are surprisingly similar? My 91 Integra and 98 Outback used the same filter. I liked the quality of the Honda filters so I used them on my Outback. I noticed that the 2005 Legacy GT oil filter looks like a short version of the 2005 Honda Odyssey filter. Take a look at Mobil 1 filter 108 versus 110... the 108 is for the LGT and the 110 is for the Odyssey. Just a curiosity...

For the record, I use the black OEM filters for the LGT and Mobil1 OW40.

I changed mine at 500 miles. It's been 05 leftover so the oil was there for 1.5 years, or perhaps longer, given engines are shipped from Japan (w/oil?).

I don't know what Subaru does, but I am sure that Honda has a break in additive in their oil from the factory.
I'd love to see where this is documented... any reference?

They don't recommend changing the oil until the first normal oil interval. Honda's engine computer keeps track of how you drive and estimates when a good time to change the oil. It's usually in the 5000 mile ballpark.
Yeah, a lot of newer cars do this too, but it has nothing to do with the breakin oil, if such a thing exists. Basically, these oil monitors determine your oil change time (via optical sensor or ECU monitoring of how you drive... depending on the brand/implementation). None of this is relevant to the break-in procedure...

Okay, I shouldn't have mentioned the oil life estimators because it confused the issue.

However, I am sure that Honda has an oil additive in it (not break in oil). I was surprised when the dealer wouldn't change the oil at 1000 miles for me. He said that the normal dealer recommendation is every 3000 miles except the first one. The Honda rep told them not to change the oil until the last minute possible because of the break in additive. Frankly, I was surprised that the dealer wouldn't take my money.

I asked my colleagues at Honda in Ohio. They said the same thing. Supposedly, Honda uses a break in additive.

Of course, we can still all be wrong...

There was a thread a while back regarding the break-in oil issue... someone posted a response straight from SOA that stated there is no special break-in oil. It's just filled with regular oil from the factory.

I'm sure if you search you'll find the thread...

Archived