LegacyGT.com

Knocking.....

Aryx

Hi everybody, I've tried doing a search for this type of issue I'm having but I couldn't find anything. When my car is stopped or creeping forward, if I turn the steering wheel to the left I hear a clunk sound coming from that side. I can even feel that clunk through the steering wheel. I don't have any driveability problems whatsoever. I have never taken this car over any seriously bumpy roads or hit a pothole/curb etc. It's not loud but I can hear/feel it. Any suggestions as to what it might be? And would this be covered by warranty?

so if it's a bad cv joint, any ballpark figure as to how much to fix? Also, would this be covered under warranty? Like I said,, this car is babied and I have never gone through pot holes or over curbs. Thanks for your responses guys.

Could also be a bad strut. First thing I would do is get the car on a lift with the weight of the wheels and check the CV boot for tears and check for play in the strut shaft. It could also be a ball joint.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Most rack and pinion steering systems will make a knock/clunk if you swing the wheel back and forth while stopped. The inner tierods are spring loaded in most cases.

Hondas do it, Dodges do it, and my LGT does it.

If that is the only time U hear it, don't worry. To put your mind at ease, go to a dealer and start an new one and see if it exhibits the same condition. Make sure you warm up the car first.

Well, I took her in for an inspection (at my mechanic's garage not the dealership) and it looks like there are no problems. It's wierd though, this sound only happens when twitching the steering wheel to the left. Thanks for all the responses guys. :D

Archived