LegacyGT.com

One-touch up for the windows...

I had a 99 A4 before I got my LGT and it had one-touch windows up and down for the front windows and one-touch downs only for the rear. Someone came up with a mod to make the rear windows one-touch ups. Here is the how-to. [url]http://www.obdtool.com/onetouch/[/url]. I wonder if this would work on our cars? I really miss the one-touch ups on the windows.

I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.

[quote name='mankyweebugger']I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.[/quote] That's why you can defeat all the power windows from the driver's seat when you have kids in the car. Every VW and Audi made since 1999 have une-touch up and down windows. It's not a safety problem. -Nick

[quote name='mankyweebugger']I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.[/quote] Any base car that has electric windows has "one touch up" drivers window. This is another base feature that Subaru failed to put in the car. Safety...dont make me laugh....hell, my '95 Camry had this. My 2001 Maxima had this, my 2005 Altima had this...this should be a standard feature....another thing that Suburu cut costs on...... The Legacy will continue to get TRAMPLED on in the publications for the lack of the interior ementies that come standard on any other BASE model vehicle......

[quote name='Nick'][quote name='mankyweebugger']I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.[/quote] That's why you can defeat all the power windows from the driver's seat when you have kids in the car. Every VW and Audi made since 1999 have une-touch up and down windows. It's not a safety problem. -Nick[/quote] but what happens if you leave a young child alone in the car while you go inside to pick up something and (because some people want the air conditioning to keep the car -- and the child -- cool) the ignition is left on so that windows can be activated even if the motor isn't running)? the fact that there have been, according to something i read recently, at least eight deaths caused by small children activating auto-up windows under such circumstances, that sad fact seems to have prompted the federal government to issue new regulations on such windows: [url]http://www.regulations.gov/freddocs/04-20714.htm[/url] true, the number of deaths is small, and they can, at least in part, be blamed on the negligence of the parents who left their children alone in their cars, still, if some children have died because of such a system, it is a safety problem. so maybe subaru is just waiting until after the new regulations have been defined and approved and their suppliers have found a way to comply with such regulations before making such a system available. after all, subaru is known for its commitment to safety. perhaps they really do take that seriously. det

[quote name='finked'][quote name='Nick'][quote name='mankyweebugger']I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.[/quote] That's why you can defeat all the power windows from the driver's seat when you have kids in the car. Every VW and Audi made since 1999 have une-touch up and down windows. It's not a safety problem. -Nick[/quote] but what happens if you leave a young child alone in the car while you go inside to pick up something and (because some people want the air conditioning to keep the car -- and the child -- cool) the ignition is left on so that windows can be activated even if the motor isn't running)? the fact that there have been, according to something i read recently, at least eight deaths caused by small children activating auto-up windows under such circumstances, that sad fact seems to have prompted the federal government to issue new regulations on such windows: [url]http://www.regulations.gov/freddocs/04-20714.htm[/url] true, the number of deaths is small, and they can, at least in part, be blamed on the negligence of the parents who left their children alone in their cars, still, if some children have died because of such a system, it is a safety problem. so maybe subaru is just waiting until after the new regulations have been defined and approved and their suppliers have found a way to comply with such regulations before making such a system available. after all, subaru is known for its commitment to safety. perhaps they really do take that seriously. det[/quote] Good Grief. We are talking about "one touch" drivers up window.....NOT auto up windows. All the other foreign and American manufacturers have this feature, Subaru was just plain too cheap to put this in.

Instead of echoing my normal 'search' comments, I will not (but only because it was in a weird forum). We have discussed another option before. I'm still considering getting this module: [url=http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1231&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]The BM'r Thread[/url]

[quote name='finked'][quote name='Nick'][quote name='mankyweebugger']I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.[/quote] That's why you can defeat all the power windows from the driver's seat when you have kids in the car. Every VW and Audi made since 1999 have une-touch up and down windows. It's not a safety problem. -Nick[/quote] but what happens if you leave a young child alone in the car while you go inside to pick up something and (because some people want the air conditioning to keep the car -- and the child -- cool) the ignition is left on so that windows can be activated even if the motor isn't running)? the fact that there have been, according to something i read recently, at least eight deaths caused by small children activating auto-up windows under such circumstances, that sad fact seems to have prompted the federal government to issue new regulations on such windows: [url]http://www.regulations.gov/freddocs/04-20714.htm[/url] true, the number of deaths is small, and they can, at least in part, be blamed on the negligence of the parents who left their children alone in their cars, still, if some children have died because of such a system, it is a safety problem. so maybe subaru is just waiting until after the new regulations have been defined and approved and their suppliers have found a way to comply with such regulations before making such a system available. after all, subaru is known for its commitment to safety. perhaps they really do take that seriously. det[/quote] First of all, if you leave your child alone in the car with the keys in the ignition, you don't deserve to be responsible for children. Second, the power window lockout switch would still work. It's there for a reason. -Nick

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Nick'][quote name='finked'][quote name='Nick'][quote name='mankyweebugger']I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.[/quote] That's why you can defeat all the power windows from the driver's seat when you have kids in the car. Every VW and Audi made since 1999 have une-touch up and down windows. It's not a safety problem. -Nick[/quote] but what happens if you leave a young child alone in the car while you go inside to pick up something and (because some people want the air conditioning to keep the car -- and the child -- cool) the ignition is left on so that windows can be activated even if the motor isn't running)? the fact that there have been, according to something i read recently, at least eight deaths caused by small children activating auto-up windows under such circumstances, that sad fact seems to have prompted the federal government to issue new regulations on such windows: [url]http://www.regulations.gov/freddocs/04-20714.htm[/url] true, the number of deaths is small, and they can, at least in part, be blamed on the negligence of the parents who left their children alone in their cars, still, if some children have died because of such a system, it is a safety problem. so maybe subaru is just waiting until after the new regulations have been defined and approved and their suppliers have found a way to comply with such regulations before making such a system available. after all, subaru is known for its commitment to safety. perhaps they really do take that seriously. det[/quote] First of all, if you leave your child alone in the car with the keys in the ignition, you don't deserve to be responsible for children. Second, the power window lockout switch would still work. It's there for a reason. -Nick[/quote] Correct.

[quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='Nick'][quote name='finked'][quote name='Nick'][quote name='mankyweebugger']I think the reason most cars do not have this feature is for safety. Imagine a four year old playing with the windows and getting their fingers caught with the one touch up feature. Just a thought. Even in a child seat I've seen kids operate windows with their feet. You may think of it as a luxury feature but I think of it as a hazard.[/quote] That's why you can defeat all the power windows from the driver's seat when you have kids in the car. Every VW and Audi made since 1999 have une-touch up and down windows. It's not a safety problem. -Nick[/quote] but what happens if you leave a young child alone in the car while you go inside to pick up something and (because some people want the air conditioning to keep the car -- and the child -- cool) the ignition is left on so that windows can be activated even if the motor isn't running)? the fact that there have been, according to something i read recently, at least eight deaths caused by small children activating auto-up windows under such circumstances, that sad fact seems to have prompted the federal government to issue new regulations on such windows: [url]http://www.regulations.gov/freddocs/04-20714.htm[/url] true, the number of deaths is small, and they can, at least in part, be blamed on the negligence of the parents who left their children alone in their cars, still, if some children have died because of such a system, it is a safety problem. so maybe subaru is just waiting until after the new regulations have been defined and approved and their suppliers have found a way to comply with such regulations before making such a system available. after all, subaru is known for its commitment to safety. perhaps they really do take that seriously. det[/quote] First of all, if you leave your child alone in the car with the keys in the ignition, you don't deserve to be responsible for children. Second, the power window lockout switch would still work. It's there for a reason. -Nick[/quote] Correct.[/quote] are you guys parents? it doesn't matter in the slightest as to whether or not some boneheaded father or mother "deserves to be responsibile for [their] children". for god's sake, it's all about whether the children deserve to remain alive. jeesh ... what matters here? judging the parents (and making them pay for their sins) or protecting the children who have such parents? parents who, i might add, may just forget about the "lock-out" switch too. read the link. there are better ways to handle this problem.

So if VW/Audi can put anti pintch sensors in there auto up windows, (and I'm sure others do as well), why can't subaru put them in too? These sensors have been on A4's in 1996, almost 9 years ago. And I have personally tested them, just to see what would happen. The window rolls up, detects resistance, stops and retracts all the way back down. -Nick

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think the world would be a better place if the gene pool was thinned out a bit by society not making sure every knucklehead that Darwin said shouldn't survive is safe and sound. All that aside (you did ask), I'm not a parent, but for cryin' out loud, the point is that you don't leave the car on with the kid in it by her/himself.

Archived