LegacyGT.com

Six wheel rotation

So I think it's nice to have a full size spare. Especially on AWD car. The bad day scenario is you blow one of the tires and have to buy entire new set. This is especially bad if you are far from home on a trip and at the mercy of local tire dealers with crappy tires...

Now, because AWD it's important to keep the circumference of all wheels within spec (1/4th inch) so you would have to include the spare in the rotation. If the tires are unidirectional you're kinda out of luck and would have to remount a tire every other rotation. And 5 wheel rotation is awkard anyway.

Now, the problem would be solved with 6 wheels. Just rotate front-back as Subaru recommends, just with 2 extra wheels. Except cost of extra 2 rims (well, one, assuming one would have full size spare already) it looks like there are no downsides. One need to buy extra tires upfront but the total mileage of the 6 tire set will be 150% of the 4 tire set.

Also, because two wheels are off the car I guess the rotation should be done twice as frequently compared to 4 wheel rotation.

Now, usually one would ferry around just one spare. But if directional what side? You have 50% chance it will go on the proper side (well, allegedly damages occur more frequently on the passenger side). Anyway it does not look like a big deal, you can drive for some miles with the tire on wrong side and just have the tire remounted as soon as possible.

Discuss.

Are you thinking of getting aftermarket wheels? Hell, if you want a full size spare, just get an OEM wheel with an RE92. A spare tire is just that ... spare. So slap it on to get to a place where you can repair your normal tire. It's not like the OEM spare is a perfect match to the same spec as the other 3 tires on your car. If possible, put your spare on one of the front wheels.

Now I have two sets of wheels, STI and stock. Already have stock spare (5 wheels total).

I thinking about 6 wheel (actually two of them) setup, so the rotation is easy. With 5 wheels and directional tires it's hard to rotate them to have even wear. With 6 wheels seems much easier.

The purpose of the spare(s) matching the rest is if one of tires blows up so it cannot be repaired, you don't have to buy entire new set. Of course, if one blows up you're back to 5 wheel rotation scenario.

Perhaps I am paranoid but I take my car for long trips to middle of nowhere (just got back from trip to New Foundland) and I would hate to lose a tire and be forced to be entire set of some crappy tires for crazy money...

So to recap: 6 wheels for easy rotation, spares to avoid replacing entire set of tires if tire gets damaged beyond repair.

I am sure I am paranoid... but that's because of AWD. To be honest I had flat tire only twice over last 5 years. However once it was in a rental car and it had full spare and damn, how grateful I was for it. I was in the middle of a desert in Arizona...

I used to do that when I was driving 50k miles per year so that when I did need to spare out I didn't immediately have to get a replacement tire and could special order whatever I needed/wanted from my regular place. It wasn't awd though so it was simpler as far as tread depth. I was using directional so I just kept both in the hatch.

I was in the air force and way too far from base on a regular basis so getting back asap regardless of problems was a necessity. ;)

for the lgt, I'd say go with something that isn't directional to keep it simple. I haven't looked at all seasons so can't help you with choices ....... one season here - azenis 615.

Archived