LegacyGT.com

OEM catback with aftermarket downpipe

Legasee

I've searched and can't find any information on who's tried mating an aftermarket downpipe with the OEM catback. I'm itching to go COBB stage 2 and might end up going OEM catback since the there's not much power loss with the OEM, plus it's gonna be "free" :icon_bigg and nice and quiet. Any leads or information appreciated :D
In Taiwan now...:spin:

Cobb DP w/ HFC, OEM CBE, no issues. I think the issues will start when you start doing a mix-n-match system.

great thanks!

Are you running AP too?...I'll do a HFC if i can afford it...but for AP owners, COBB recommends catless dp for max hp increase, right?...or is their dp with HFC good just as good?

go with hfc, at stage 2 level, you wont see a world of a difference

+1, if you go catless UP the DP's HFC will be the only one left, IIRC. WRT Cobb's recommendations, stage 2 is actually TBE, with DP being the minimum requirement.

Both Cobb and PDE dp's taper down to stock diameter at the end, and retain the stock donut washer, so they will bolt right up to your stock catback with no problems :lol:

Now hurry up and get it done already :lol:

ladies and gentlemen....this guys here ^^ is the one that got me all thinkin about the AP at our last mini meet(...and then he shows us his prestine condition S2000.. but that's besides the point :lol: )...tells me all this difference in power, got me all thinking about my stage 2 when I had my WRX...:icon_twis what u running again for dp colakitty?

:confused: ...what do you mean?...just about everyone has this set-up? (aftermarket downpipe with OEM catback?)

Yes. Aftermarket CBEs for the LGT are overpriced, so most have this set up, or at most (like me), just mufflers.

Yes. Aftermarket CBEs for the LGT are overpriced, so most have this set up, or at most (like me), just mufflers.

cool...what downpipe are you running with your OEM catback (well, I guess you are OEM from catback section to axleback, and running some aftermarket mufflers only, or aftermarket axleback, right?)...thanks!

ladies and gentlemen....this guys here ^^ is the one that got me all thinkin about the AP at our last mini meet(...and then he shows us his prestine condition S2000.. but that's besides the point :lol: )...tells me all this difference in power, got me all thinking about my stage 2 when I had my WRX...:icon_twis what u running again for dp colakitty?

Thanks for giving me all the credit for giving you the stage 2 bug :icon_wink You will not regret it after you get it all done.

As for my DP, I got the bug WAY WAY before any DP was made for the Legacy, and before the AP or Ecutek was available for our cars. I got a used PDE wrx downpipe from NASIOC and had a muffler shop extend it to fit my car... fits and works great btw. Even without any EM done, the DP made a huge seat of the pants difference on my car. Lag was reduced noticeably and throttle response is increased as well. Best $200 I have ever spent on the car.

????

Isn't that just about everyone?

^ +1

The vast majority of LGTers at "Stage II" utilize the aftermarket DP (either full length or shorty, and of various incorporation of catalyst/cat-less setups) paired with OEM cat-back section combo.

It should be noted, however, that while the Cobb Tuning Legacy AccessPORT FAQ cites the above as a "safe" and desireable (for best boost-control) combination to run for their various off-the-shelf "Stage II" maps, this combo remains non-optimized for Cobb's off-the-shelf maps, which can only be achieved with a fully catless turbo-back.

Christian from Cobb has also been noted to recommend that off-the-shelf "Stage II" map owners incorporate at least the use of an aftermarket HFC third-section if they pair their off-the-shelf maps with a "shorty" DP, and in addition to true system/map optimization, the only way to achieve best-"safety" with their off-the-shelf "Stage II" maps is with the use of a fully catless turbo-back setup.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

cool...what downpipe are you running with your OEM catback (well, I guess you are OEM from catback section to axleback, and running some aftermarket mufflers only, or aftermarket axleback, right?)...thanks!

PDE catted downpipe with Comptech mufflers. Got the mufflers off of ebay and had a shop weld them on.

^ +1

The vast majority of LGTers at "Stage II" utilize the aftermarket DP (either full length or shorty, and of various incorporation of catalyst/cat-less setups) paired with OEM cat-back section combo.

It should be noted, however, that while the Cobb Tuning Legacy AccessPORT FAQ cites the above as a "safe" and desireable (for best boost-control) combination to run for their various off-the-shelf "Stage II" maps, this combo remains non-optimized for Cobb's off-the-shelf maps, which can only be achieved with a fully catless turbo-back.

Christian from Cobb has also been noted to recommend that off-the-shelf "Stage II" map owners incorporate at least the use of an aftermarket HFC third-section if they pair their off-the-shelf maps with a "shorty" DP, and in addition to true system/map optimization, the only way to achieve best-"safety" with their off-the-shelf "Stage II" maps is with the use of a fully catless turbo-back setup.

if/when I go the AP route, I'll eventually go with aftermarket catback if there is one that will be as functional as quiet as I need it to be. I feel that I'm going in circles looking for a very quiet aftermarket catback when this whole time, my need is probably the OEM catback (I had an Invidia dp on my previous WRX and the volume was nice with just the OEM catback when I was converting it back to stock to sell the car. But when I had a "pretty quiet" Espelir catback on it with the Invidia, it was so loud, thank god it came with a silencer, but the silencer robbed the power...so I've come to accept cake and eating part :(:lol: )

I think hearing the MR catback with OEM up and dp will finalize my decision :D....dibs on first person selling their USED MR catback! :icon_bigg:lol:

(ya'll.....thanks for all your inputs and suggestions...always greatly appreciated :))

...so I've come to accept cake and eating part :(:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG, BEST QUOTE EVARRRRRRR!!! :lol:

I totally :wub: that! Hilarious! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived