LegacyGT.com

Okay I've HAD it with my FM reception..

gfxdave99

• 2 years later...

gfxdave99 did you ever find a solution to your problem? My 2009 OBW has had the same problem since day one. The dealer assured me it was operating to spec. I took it to an independent audio shop and they almost installed a "booster" antenna on the inside of the windshield. However, the technician thought it would not improve my reception.

I would think adding an external antenna wouldn't be that difficult. But this audio shop only had replacement external antennas. If I wasn't so technically incompetent I would love to do this myself.

If anyone has ever added an external antenna, could you provide a write-up?

• 2 weeks later...

An external antenna won't really help you in case unless you are planning on putting on a 31" whip. The rear window antenna will be roughly the same signal levels received as an external stubby antenna. Both of these antennas are designed to meet very minimal receive signals and then use the amplifier to boost the hell out of them.

The "booster" on the window antenna wouldn't help because we already have amplifiers on the signal.

If you want an external antenna for improved signal it needs to be 31" long. Anything shorter will be probably near the same signal level as the in-glass but won't get the signal boost from our built-in amplifiers.

Yes, NO tint at all (except maybe factory tint in the glass?).

Some stations come in quite well.. Maybe it's just the station that's weak, but.. Stepping on the brakes shouldn't make it worse, should it?

HV

Since someone revived this thread..

This issue seems to have totally gone away on its own. Sure, the reception's still not great, but the link to stepping on the brakes is gone.

An external antenna won't really help you in case unless you are planning on putting on a 31" whip. The rear window antenna will be roughly the same signal levels received as an external stubby antenna. Both of these antennas are designed to meet very minimal receive signals and then use the amplifier to boost the hell out of them.

The "booster" on the window antenna wouldn't help because we already have amplifiers on the signal.

If you want an external antenna for improved signal it needs to be 31" long. Anything shorter will be probably near the same signal level as the in-glass but won't get the signal boost from our built-in amplifiers.

Hah you must have heard me through some psychic connection.. I was grousing this week that my AM reception was ass on a stick and was like man I cant deal with this.

hmm :(

So basically to get any better reception I would need a full size "whip" antenna, a retractable or a collapsing one :-/

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

There may be a problem with the FM tuner of the radio. To see if that is the case and if you can get a better FM signal into the radio remove the antenna connection to the radio and stick a piece of wire that is about 6 feet long into the center conductor hole of the antenna connector to the radio. If that helps get a better signal into the radio then there would appear to be a problem with the antenna system still.

• 1 month later...

I've had my 2009 Outback (with fancy HK radio) back to the dealer several times regarding the FM reception with no luck. Apparently, it is within spec. The radio picks up many stations, but they crackle and sometimes become quiter and generally reception is worse that of my clock radio.

Thinking that the glass antenna is at fault, I bought a powered FUBA-style antenna that is the same as I used to have on my Golf, which had great reception. This is the expensive ~$100 version. Before actually drilling into the roof, I taped it to the roof rail and connected it to the stereo. I was disappointed to find out that the reception was pretty much the same. I even took it to my parking garage at work to confirm that FM goes in and out and AM almost disappears.

I am starting to wonder whether my actual headunit (/AC combo) is to blame. Hopefully I can convince the dealer to swap it out. If not, it seems the only way to fix this is to spend way too much money by purchasing the JPDM A/C controller and getting a new system - see http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113589

Another option I will try is to install this universal, interior antenna from Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA200/Universal-Window-mount-Antenna.html?showAll=N&tp=3449&avf=N). We'll see...

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I think the only solution for better reception is to drive it off a cliff. I can't take it anymore either so I'm switching to satellite radio via an auxillary input. The static while listening to the radio slowly wears me down to the point where I feel like driving into oncoming traffic so I figured I better find a solution quick :lol:.

FWIW, I'm not gonna claim that you don't have an issue.....but. I've lived in this area for 10 years 40 miles north of Detroit, and across 9 vehicles that I've had/currently have over this period, my LGT gets the best FM reception, especialy when I head north, farther from the city stations.
Ron

Archived