LegacyGT.com

Possible solution to preventing blown HG!

camber

You try a different dealer? Maybe they aren't using the correct amount of torque.

I could live with that explanation, but what about the ORIGINAL one from the factory that leaked and the countless others with 2003 models leaking. Remember, that was only supposed to be a problem with the '99's to '02's.

A thread of a couple of months ago led me to believe there were defects on the top of some engine blocks. Since it only affected a few, I'd have to guess it was a manufacturing process problem and not an engine design flaw.

A bit more money but, I wonder if you should look at the head cover or top of the block for "pits" or gullies? If I recall this was the conclusion and led to increased gasket problems. There were pictures and you could see (if the analysis was correct) a difference in one area on the side of the block to others. I would not necessarily rule out the head cover either.

My wife was driving our other Subie, the infamous '97 OBW, when the head gasket blew. Although she's not car savvy, she is sensitive to shakes, rattles and smells of her car. The point? I'm not sure there was much of a warning when the gasket let go.

Now, I don't know how many would continue driving until the car reached an absolute dead stop either...

Good luck.

I also would like to know if this drilling and taping the crossover tube and putting in a swirl pot would do any good. Where would you get the coolant to drain back into the system from your swirl pot? think this would solve the problem?

• 4 weeks later...

a swirl tank would most likely go in the upper coolant hose to the radiator

GM uses a pressurized overflow tank in the N* cars which acts as a swirl tank to som extends.

they are also commonly used on air/water intercooler plumbing systems

I'd be really interested to know a sure-fire fix for this problem. I just purchased a '97 LGT with 176,000 miles on it, BUT the previous owner just overhauled the engine 1,000 miles ago...and obviously he put in a new HG. Especially since there is a brand new HG in the car, I want to take care of it from the start.

The guy that I bought it from is a Subaru mechanic and he said that the 2.5 DOHC blows the HG externally, while other Subaru engines of that era tend to blow them internally. I'm not positive exactly what me meant by that, but I thought that might mean something to someone.

Archived