LegacyGT.com

Colorado Drivin'

harrigan

Just picked up my LGT in March, so I haven't experienced bad weather with the stock tires yet, but my feeling is that they're going to be none too good.

I live in Denver though, and (shh, don't tell anyone) the winters really aren't that severe, so I'm wondering if I can get away with good all seasons vs. having seperate winter and summer sets ($$$$).

How have you other CO drivers tackled the elements so far?

I also just picked up a LGT recently. I am most likely just going to get myself a good set of all seasons before winter hits. All I know is that last winter i was driving around a Mazda 3 with bald a$$ tires, and didnt really have any problems and I even made it up to summit county a couple times. Im thinking that good tires + all wheel drive = golden.

Just picked up my LGT in March, so I haven't experienced bad weather with the stock tires yet, but my feeling is that they're going to be none too good.

I live in Denver though, and (shh, don't tell anyone) the winters really aren't that severe, so I'm wondering if I can get away with good all seasons vs. having seperate winter and summer sets ($$$$).

How have you other CO drivers tackled the elements so far?

Yes, I've been on my All-season tires for about 18months roadhuggers fairly descent all season tires I spent every weekend this last season in Vail and hit bad weather at least once everytime I headed to the mountains so my answer would be yes you can

Cool. I figured the winters here just weren't harsh enough to warrant dedicated winter shoes, not with the car's AWD.

But to be clear the stock tires ain't gonna do, are they?

Yes and no if you drive fast or alot in the mountainous regions during the winter season then I would suggest new tires but if your city driven or around the town driven I wouldnt until the tread is low or worren out

Yes, you can do it, but if you can pay for a set of winter tires, definitely do it.

I dealt with 7 years of winter driving in CO in a camry wagon with studs for winter. I went to school at CU Boulder.

After moving to Denver I got the 97 Outback and had stock tires. Not the greatest, cause I hit a car in the Keystone parking lot.

I've had my LGT through two winters now on the stock RE92's (about 27k miles now). I believe they are underrated. I pretty much never lost control in the winter (the only time was on a patch of pure ice in a turning lane, I pulled into the gas station at the corner after, and didn't see one car not slide through turn, including awd, fwd, suv, etc.) I wouldn't drive on them in the winter the same way I drive in summer, but I don't drive that much different. I've also never lost control during summer/rain

I would say, since the roads are dry more often during the winter than wet/icy/snowy all seasons (including stock) are just fine. You can lose control with any set of tires (had a buddy with a 2.5rs lose control and spin into a snow bank with one of the top snow tires).

I don't do a ton of driving in the mountains in the winter (not a skiier, much more of a hiker), so I think I'll chance keeping the stock tires through one season to see how they perform. (With my luck we'll get hammered this winter :) )

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Archived