LegacyGT.com

I think I know how Cobb and ECUTek are going to use SI-Drive for their maps...

People are buzzing about the SI drive in the new '07's+. Now, from what I've heard, (this is just a rumor...nothing more) the dial that switches between the 3 different mods actually are 3 different chips on the ECU.

Put 1+2 together and you now release what the next-gen Cobb AP's and the ECUTek kits are going to be like.

First, you'll have the base flash which will be your base map and then using your SI dial, you'll have point and click option to have a 1 of 3 real-time maps active at your bidding.

That's right. High Boost-Economy-Track/Valet whatever... pick the combo you want and that's how it's going to be directed.

Reason I'm hearing that Cobb has been so slow to release the 1.16 map is because of their R+D on the new SI driveline.

So, that being said, we'll probably be hearing something about this in the next 3-9 months or so. :)

the dial that switches between the 3 different mods actually are 3 different chips on the ECU.
Well that sounds horrendously wasteful. I'm sure it's just 3 different sets of maps. There's plenty of rom space available. The people that have source code can do nearly anything in software. They just don't.. Lack of budget or lack of imagination.. *shrug*

Well that sounds horrendously wasteful. I'm sure it's just 3 different sets of maps. There's plenty of rom space available.
Exactly. Three different sets of base maps for throttle control, boost control, spark advance, etc.

Being able to switch maps can make it more practicle to have maps that are more setup for racing, and even make the economy mode less annoying as long as it enables you to switch it on the fly.

Turn on economy map when you are just cruising at a steady speed on the highway for a long time switch it back to a more normal mode when you have to pass traffic or just get bored of cruise control.

Or have a racing map for the track and just hit the knob to go back to a more conservitive map for the driving around the streets.

If they can get the knob to work with the custom maps I think it will be something most people will end up using more than they thought they would.

Archived