LegacyGT.com

Need advice on possible new Legacy SE purchase

itzed

Hi,

First, I realize this forum is for GT models, but it seems like the best place to ask for help and advice. I'm 44 and I've always loved to drive. I've particularly loved my VWs over the years. I'm 6'4", 190lbs, and comfort is important to me as well. I recently moved and live on a fairly steep hill, and the wife wants us to own at least one AWD vehicle. I'm currently splitting my driving between a '97 Audi A6q (automatic) and a '95 VW jetta (manual). I've always preferred a manual for the involvement, and it always seems to be in the right gear. <g>. I do all my own service work, and it seems I'm always fixing either one or the other of these two cars. I don't mind doing it, but the cost is about equal to a new car payment, and my wife is complaining she never sees me anymore.

So recently I began wondering if there was a car out there that could give me what I want in a single vehicle: Comfort; Reliability; Fun; Reasonable cost; and AWD. I've identified the base 5 speed Legacy as about the only contender that I think might initially meet all those criteria. I've never owned a Subaru, and I'm seeking your opinions on what could be a rather fast decision because of the incentives currently offered. I'm interested in:

Reliability: What are the weak points of this 2.5i engine? Is the maintenance schedule reasonable? What about the "Subaru common problems"? Trust me that Audi A6 blower motor is NOT an easy job.

Comfort: I'm very concerned that the seat be comfortable for me, as my work commute is 1 hour each way daily. I sat in and drove a Legacy GT that I found comfortable, but there was no standard SE for me to try out. I've read some complaints on the web about the seats, which scare me. Any comments on this?

I know I'm asking a lot here, especially for a first post. :) But I promise if I buy this car, I'll stay here on the list and pay it all back.

Thanks,

Ed

I have an '05 2.5i wagon with 46K miles so I think I can answer some of your questions.

1. I am 5'8", 190 lbs. The seats are comfortable for me for up to 4 or 5 hours at a time. I vary the lumbar support on long trips. I can't speak for you I'm afraid.

2. The 5-speed is very nice, clutch travel is strangely long but very progressive. Shifter doesn't like to be forced, but is smooth and fairly fast once you get the feel for it.

3. In 46K miles I've had no engine issues. Boxer engines with perfect primary and secondary balance are considered quite reliable and long-lasting. Head gasket problems in the '90s have been addressed.

I change the oil at 3.75K (more or less), do dealer service every 15K (alternating $200 and $300 for major minor). I did have a sticking brake pad which necessitated new pads and front rotors recently, but it's not a known issue so I just got (un)lucky.

4. Fun? I think so. It doesn't pull like my wife's WRX turbo, but with the manual and a good driver I can't really complain about the power. The NA motor has excellent torque and pulls well from 2500rpm to 5700 or so. In 2nd and 3rd gear it is all the motor you NEED. Some want more. The handling is about as good as you will get in a 1-1/2 ton "family" type car. Precise and neutral, you can get very slight understeer (nowhere near as bad as Honda/VW FWD) when pushing hard, but you can induce oversteer by lifting off. The ride is excellent, supple but well-controlled.

5. In my drive (50%hwy/30%rural surface/20%city) I average a real 27-28mpg driving normally. I burn no oil at all.

I'm very fond of this car, at this point I don't think I would even consider anything but a Subie. If my 2.5i wagon was totalled tomorrow, I'd replace it with a similar '06 or '07 in a heartbeat.

P.

And now a word about Subaru AWD since that's one of your factors.

On the Manual models you basically have a Limited slip center diff which sends power equally to all 4 wheels, all the time. If a wheel starts slipping, that axle turns faster and the power progressively goes to the other axle.

On a dry road, you just feel like you're driving a neutral steering car.

On a wet road, you don't slip on acceleration, and you do feel a bit more control at speed.

On snow you have essentially unlimited traction. As long as 3 wheels are on the ground and 2 of them have some bite, you will go.

AWD does not defeat the laws of physics, so stopping and turning still require common sense, but you will drive by quite a few stuck "SUVs" and 4wd pickups in snowy conditions. Climbing slippery hills is a breeze.

P.

Archived