LegacyGT.com

2006 Spec.B Questions

Hey all. I am not quite yet a proud owner of a Spec.B. I love the interior and I loved the Test Drive, but 10 min in a car is just not enough time. Im going back tomorow to take it out again. I am stuck between this and an A4. The only review I found comparing them was the Spec vs an S4. That says quite a lot about the Spec.B, being as it BARELY lost to the S4. So its almost a no-brainer to me that the SPec is my car of choice. I have a few questions that hopefully a Spec-er can answer.

1. I read that the seats are not comfortable on long trips.. is this true.

2. Heard that MP3 CDs will sometimes play and sometimes wont

3. Heard the stereo SUCKS

4. Heard that the clutch is not smooth

4. HEard that the engine idles rough

5. Is it true that u can not use the GPS while the car is moving?

6. The Arm-rest looks small and positioned too far back, making it seem completly useless, is this true?

7. If U had a choice between A4.. NOT the S4.. or the SPec.B, which would U choose... forget about the price of the cars.

8. I also read that the clicker used to lock/unlock door is annoying. Have to click once, wait 2-3 secs then click again to open passenger door.. true?

Thanks for any help. I simply am falling in love with this car and want to make sure that yall agree with my affections. Im more of a sport car kinda guy, and this SPec.B seems like the sports car with AWD that I have been looking for. thanks.

Hey all. I am not quite yet a proud owner of a Spec.B. I love the interior and I loved the Test Drive, but 10 min in a car is just not enough time. Im going back tomorow to take it out again. I am stuck between this and an A4. The only review I found comparing them was the Spec vs an S4. That says quite a lot about the Spec.B, being as it BARELY lost to the S4. So its almost a no-brainer to me that the SPec is my car of choice. I have a few questions that hopefully a Spec-er can answer.

Spec_b--> Not true very comfertable ones.

Spec_b--> Really i am playing mp3's for last 3 months with no issues. Person reporting must have a bad cd.

Spec_b--> What do you want 7.1 sorround digital in a compact car? Get real stereo is descent.

Spec_b-->God your source is terrible it is one of the best clutch i have used. Loved the clutch on the first shot.

Spec_b--> Before changing the DP and Exhaust i did not even know there was an engine.

Spec_b-->no car will allow u to mess with the GPS menu while driving. BTW u can go to different menus except enter address while driving.

Saftey precaution.

6. The Arm-rest looks small and positioned too far back, making it seem completly useless, is this true?

Spec_b-->Perfect armrest location for driving stick.

7. If U had a choice between A4.. NOT the S4.. or the SPec.B, which would U choose... forget about the price of the cars.

Spec_b-->I already choose and is is spec.b. I took A4 to the subaru dealer and drove both cars back to back.

8. I also read that the clicker used to lock/unlock door is annoying. Have to click once, wait 2-3 secs then click again to open passenger door.. true?

Spec_b-->Again your source sucks.

Thanks for any help. I simply am falling in love with this car and want to make sure that yall agree with my affections. Im more of a sport car kinda guy, and this SPec.B seems like the sports car with AWD that I have been looking for. thanks.

Spec_b--> If you like the car buy it. I like it and this is a keeper for next 5 years min. If u have hesitations buy a Ford.

And u know this is a stic car right. Mine is #287/500

K... I am going to test drive again tomorow. I think i just worry too much. Im pretty sure I will be adding my name and car number to that Spec.B registry pretty damn soon. Yeah I know its a stic, thats one of the most important features to me. Was specificaly looking for AWD, 5-speed, and GPS... Spec.B seems perfect. Thanks for help.

no, seats are great. only qualm is that the back seat doesn't fold down.

MP3 CDs have been playing fine in mine

Stereo is not as good as the bose system in my other car, but with a decent sub, it'd be great. Mids and highs are good, but it's lacking alittle bottom end.

The clutch is fantastic. Better than my fiance's Mini Cooper, and that clutch is awesome. Perfect for launches from 4500rpm...

Engine purrs. that's how I'd describe it. Although, I just got my AccessPort and not sure if it's any quieter or louder now. It's quiet.

The functionality is limited, just like with almost any other factory installed GPS system, for safety reasons. The only thing that bugs me is that you can't enter street addresses, but you can select from ones that you already entered. No biggie.

Armrest is fine for me, I did get the extension though, and I'm 6'4"...

I considered the S4, but the MPG is abysmal, and I wasn't that impressed with the accelaration. For a 4.2l V8 I expected more, but it seemed too civilized...

Yes, that is true. You get used to it pretty quickly though, and it's not something that's making me think I should have got a different car...

I don't have a Spec B but I do have both a Legacy GT Ltd and an Outback VDC so I can comment on many of the items you listed.

Not true at all. These are the most comfortable seats I've ever had for long trips. I once drove 17 hours nearly non-stop and had no significant discomfort where in other cars I'd start getting uncomfortable in only a few hours.

There's no particular problem that I'm aware of with the MP3 CD player.

Not true. It doesn't live up to the sound quality of the previous-generation VDC's McIntosh system, but I think it's quite good for a standard factory system. The OEM subwoofer helps a lot.

At times the clutch's engagement can feel inconsistent. I can't compare it to much because the majority of the manual transmission vehicles I've driven were trucks and SUVs and the Legacy's clutch is much nicer.

It's got the signature boxer rumble. It's got 'character'. ;)

Some of the functionality is disabled when you're moving more than a few miles per hour. You can still do some things, but you can't enter new addresses, for instance.

It is a ways back. There are two optional armrest extensions, one available from dealers in the US that simply moves the armrest up and forward, and another available from Europe and Japan that actually provides some extra storage. I have the latter and it works really well.

Spec B, no contest. Although in my case, since the Spec B isn't available in the color I would want, I would buy a Legacy GT and do all the modifications I want to it myself... Which happens to be what I've done. :icon_bigg

To unlock the driver door you press unlock once. To unlock all of the doors, you have to press the unlock button twice, pausing for just a second between presses. If you were always unlocking all the doors, it could get a little annoying. There is an unofficial modification you can do to change that functionality.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

we looked at the Audi A4 2.0T as well as the LGT. The choice was simple. The LGT was a far better drive. The A4 has all sorts of wonderful 'creature comforts' like memory steats and stuff, i thought the controls were a bit much in the car at first glance; i couldn't figure out how to operatre the nob for the headlights :confused:. The A4 costs way more than the LGT and you get something slower, and sans boxer engine. I'd also like to say the A4 has a gaint design flaw in my eyes, as if you have the centre arm rest down, you cannot lift the E-Break, now it's a manual i put the e-brake on when i park, but i also like to have somewhere to rest my arm, i dont' want to have to lift the armrest every time i park the car, nor have to put it back down. i just hate that so very much.

Originally Posted by yeshia

A direct comparison can be found here: R&T ROADandTRACK.com -- Comparison Tests - All-Wheel-Drive Sport Sedans (3/2006)

Spec_b--> Not true very comfertable ones.

Problem here: Tall people, like me at 6'00". The seats are indeed very comfortable. However, because of my height, there is an area of about 5" where there is no support under my thigh. It's annoying and my only seat complaint. My old Celica had these cool knobs that extended under-leg support.

Spec_b--> Really i am playing mp3's for last 3 months with no issues. Person reporting must have a bad cd.

Uninitiated folks may have problems. Like Spec_b, I have no problems. Follow the directions for format compatibility in the manual and you'll have no issues. I should warn you that for optimum play, copy your music to a tmp directory, view all the hidden files (e.g., album art, db files, etc.) and get rid of them. The OEM HU will read them as files, skip them, but mess up the numbering - minor issue.

Spec_b--> What do you want 7.1 sorround digital in a compact car? Get real stereo is descent.

TRUE! Kinda. I'm not gonna follow with sarcasm either. The OEM HU amp is way underpowered. The stock speakers suck ass. The car also really needed a subwoofer or two. The HU also suffers from lack of aux input (can be solved with mods posted on this forum). The MP3 folder/file navigation is from 1978 - no joke and the display needs to be much higher resolution and something much more intuitive. It's only a 2 lines X 14 chars (about), single color LCD. Real dumb. All in all, the OEM fit and finish is excellent and the sound is indeed clear, just not on par with the performance of the car as a whole.

Spec_b-->God your source is terrible it is one of the best clutch i have used. Loved the clutch on the first shot.

Agreed. Your source sucks. Clutch is very smooth indeed.

5. HEard that the engine idles rough

Spec_b--> Before changing the DP and Exhaust i did not even know there was an engine.

Hell no. It's buttery smooth. Like Spec_b says, sometimes I hardly know there's an engine there at all.

6. Is it true that u can not use the GPS while the car is moving?

Spec_b-->no car will allow u to mess with the GPS menu while driving. BTW u can go to different menus except enter address while driving.

Saftey precaution.

+1. There's hack posted here that shows you how to bypass that saftey feature at your own risk. It also shows you how to add an auto-backup camera to the factory HU with no other mods.

7. The Arm-rest looks small and positioned too far back, making it seem completly useless, is this true?

Spec_b-->Perfect armrest location for driving stick.

Let's give this guy some useful info shall we? You're right. The model you drove likely didn't have the arm-rest extension (raises and moves it forward). Ask your dealer to throw this in or just do it yourself. SOA learned the error of their ways too late in this case. It should come from the factory in that position.

8. If U had a choice between A4.. NOT the S4.. or the SPec.B, which would U choose... forget about the price of the cars.

Spec_b-->I already choose and is is spec.b. I took A4 to the subaru dealer and drove both cars back to back.

Buaa haa :lol: :lol: :lol: I also have already made my choice!

9. I also read that the clicker used to lock/unlock door is annoying. Have to click once, wait 2-3 secs then click again to open passenger door.. true?

Spec_b-->Again your source sucks.

Don't agree with Spec_b entirely. The remote keyfob could be better designed. You're absolutely right about how you open the passenger doors. It's not that bad though. I got used to it. Very minor annoyance.

Ditto on most of this. :whore:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I agree with most of what's posted above in response. The seats are fine, I just did a 6 hour trip to Atlantic City NJ and back and I was comfy the whole way (6' 3" 240 lbs). Mine has always played MP3 CD's fine and sounds decent enough. I wish the radio was nicer (better display, more features) especially considering it's integreted into the HVAC controls and will be difficult to replace, but it's not that bad. The clutch and engine are smooth and very good. There are smoother and more precise engines and transmissions out there but I'm happy with mine.

Most GPS functionality cannot be used when the car is moving. There are a few threads in the inteiror/electronics forum where we will hopefully bypass that eventually but it is annoying. My Spec B has the popup armrest extension and it's comfortable but must be put in the down position to use the second cup holder. I have no experience with the Audi aside from riding in an older S4 a couple of days ago so I can't really comment. The clicker thing is annoying but after a week or so of your girlfriend giving that look because you forgot, again, to unlock her door too, it just becomes second nature.

I think if you go for a Spec B you will be very happy with it, I am with mine. Especially now that they've been out for a while, you should be able to get a great deal on one. I'm located in Southwestern PA (about an hour south of Pittsburgh) if you want to meetup sometime and you can check out my car. I'm taking part in an AKA Rally right now but I will be home later this week. Let me know.

I love the seats, but some people hate them. As with any vehicle, you just have to decide for yourself if you think they're comfortable. One size does not fit all.

Could be an issue of the format they're burning in, or could be an issue of people with standard LGT's complaining they don't get MP3. I can assure you the Spec.B will play a properly formatted MP3 CD.

I disagree. It's not great, but better than many systems. The sub would be a nice addition, but I understand they don't put the sub in the Spec.B because of the mounting point for the nav. I would think you could mount the OEM sub under the passenger seat without too much difficulty if you got creative.

That's been my experience on every AWD car I've personally driven. Depends on what you're comparing it to. The clutch is pretty smooth compared to the Impreza line up IMO.

Typical boxer idle. They're smooth at speed, but a little different at idle. I personally like it!

Yup. For some reason a passenger can't adjust the unit while in motion. Lame.

Arm rest extension fixes that!

I'd take a standard LGT over an A4, let alone a Spec.B.

Strange, yes. Problematic? no. Unless you live in a city where it rains heavily and often. The remote works from about 100 feet most of the time, so it gives plenty of time to click it a couple times. Plus, I don't often need to have the other doors opened for passengers. Usually just me in the car.

I think they're ok. Not great, not horrible. The seat comfort is relative to you.

It has always worked for me. Even with MP3's in seperate folders on the CD.

Get a subwoofer. I can vouch for the OEM sub. It complements the factory system well. Oh, and you can mount it under the passenger seat. The dealer can order the passenger mounting bracket that the VDC Outback uses.

"Rough" and "smooth" are relative terms. Personally, I think the clutch is fine and the engine is smooth.

When the car is in motion, you can't enter a destination or change an option setting. However, you can set the destination with a saved location.

The stock armrest is not bad. I'm 6', and I wasn't too annoyed with it. I did get the extention, and its definately better.

Spec B. I had these same cars on my short-list. The Audi is known for needing maintenance work. The Spec B was faster, and more fun to drive.

True. But I don't find it annoying. The fob does have good range, so its not a big problem.

I love the specB. Very satisified and glad not to settle for an A4. Good luck with your future car purchase.

Thanks for all the help. I am picking up my Spec.B today!!! So, being as I have never been in an accident, what does a dumb f*&** like me do? Yep, I get in a fender bender today! Nothing horrible, screwed up my bumber, and hers. So much for my trade-in value! :-(

Sounds like you've already decided but what the hell, I'll weigh in too. I pretty much agree with what the others have said...

I find them very comfy but wouldn't mind a bit more leg room (6'2", 34" inseam). A couple of more inches of legroom in the back seat would be welcome for most adults also.

2. Heard that MP3 CDs will sometimes play and sometimes wont.

Mine always work fine.

It is definitely underpowered and the speakers are marginal. If you like driving with the windows down and the stereo loud, you won't have enough power to do it. With windows up, you'll be OK most of the time but if you connect something like an XM radio with a relatively low output line level, the HU is too weak. It wouldn't need a sub if the bass in the door speakers was up to par, but as previously noted the nav unit is located where the factory sub would go. Many of us have had minor to moderate issues with passenger door panel buzzing when the stereo is playing. My wife drives a 2005 Camry XLE and the factory audio in that car is vastly better than what we have in the Spec.B, with the added bonus of factory XM (avail in the 2007 Spec.B). I'm disappointed in the audio quality relative to the quality of the rest of the car. The steering wheel audio controls are very nice though.

Speaking of the windows down, you will get more obtrusive wind buffeting your head when the drivers window is rolled down, compared to most other vehicles. You can reduce this some by rolling down the drivers side rear window about a third of the way, but I do find this an annoyance.

Another area where the Spec.B suffers in comparison to the Camry is climate control. The A/C is pretty good, but in the winter it is a real pain to regulate the heat, especially when you only want to warm up a little bit. It will want to bake you. You find yourself constantly fiddling to get the right temp. It is a real art.

And speaking of winter, you will not want to be riding on the stock summer tires in ice or snow.

As smooth as a baby's behind. A great clutch, but you will smell it when backing up inclines and certain other times. (The famous Subaru Stinky Clutch)

Absurd.

You can't input new addresses but you can select from ones already stored. The GPS DVD isn't as current as it could be. Any new streets from the last couple of years won't appear. A pretty good GPS.

No problems with the extension.

Spec.B, hands down.

You don't even have to wait a second. Just press it once, an ever so brief pause, then again. I frequently find myself accidentally pressing the panic button on the back of the fob when holding it, but perhaps this isn't a problem for a more graceful person.

No car is perfect. What you want is the best match between a car's strengths and your hierarchy of needs. If you are a 6'7" audiophile who must have a constant 70 degree cabin temperature and exceptional gas mileage, buy something else. If your main concern is the thrill of driving and you aren't extremely picky about having premium level creature comforts, you'll likely be very happy with the Spec.B. Comfortable, yes; pampering, no. I am very, very pleased with mine, to the extent that my daily 87 mile round trip commute is something I look forward to.

By the way, I had no post-delivery defects except for the aforementioned door rattling. Build quality was excellent.

Archived