LegacyGT.com

What to look for? 06 LGT LTD

warrior325

I'll be looking at either a fully loaded LGT LTD or a Spec B... How do I work my way to get like 25k offers like many people are talking about? I understand the LGT.... but how about the Spec B? How low will they be willing to go? How should I talk with them to get the lowest possible price.. with the most options possible?

List the areas you're looking in so people can offer their dealer advice or even post in the regional section where you're looking so that people who have dealt in those areas can point you to a good dealer. :) E-mail dealers that have what you want in stock also. Just ask them for their price BUT make sure you're communicating with an internet sales guy, they usually have an internet request page on most sites. You just don't want a sales guy calling you and asking you to come in. HAVE YOUR PRICE SET BEFORE YOU WALK INTO THE DEALER!!! Very important. :)

In order to get a low price, you basically just ask for a price from each dealer and then get them competing for your business. As for spec.B prices, some places offer rebates on them, some don't. Expect a price of around $31k with a rebate and maybe $33k without and that's BEFORE taxes...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I concur with the original question. I've read numerous posts on here about people getting prices of hundreds of dollars below invoice, but my local dealers seem to be more difficult.

I just e-mailed around to my local dealers for a LGT, Ltd, Wagon, and so far I'm getting responses that are about $125 above invoice (and then the 1500 rebate after that price, so winding up at around $27,500 before taxes and fees). But that still seems way out of line with what other people claim to have paid on this forum, so I'm stumped.

Also note, yesterday I spent another day negotiating on a '05 LGT, Ltd with 1,000 miles on it, and the jackass dealer wouldn't go below 27,500.... so I left.

Am I imagining things... or shouldn't things be a lot easier with the '07s coming in around the corner?

Since you're both new, I hope warrior doesn't mind me taking this off topic a bit to help Kaffwynn out. :) The '07s are not on the lots YET, so there's not an absolute rush. I bought my '05 in August of '05 and the '06s were hitting the lots. Thus, I got $500 below invoice and the $1500 rebate. Not the best price out there, but for my area, it was pretty damn good. :)

Ok, so, first and foremost: Where are you located? Location, location, location. If you've only got 3 dealers within 100 miles, this is gonna be harder cause they have less competition to deal with. This will also help establish a "base line" of what prices to expect in your area, which your local GT owners will help you with in the regional forums. More on that later...

Second, are you e-mailing the dealers through their site with the quote option and getting a repsonse from the internet sales manager or just some salesman? This is key!!! Sometimes (from my experience) I have gotten a response back from someone who is NOT the internet mgr. and thus is not giving out a decent first quote. Try to track down the internet mgr.

Depending on where you're at, there is usually a dealer in your area who people (on this board) have dealt with before. Find them. Post in the regional section with a title like so: "Looking for the BEST Dealer in WA/OR area". Most people would come back around my area and say go to Carr or Carter Subaru for rock bottom pricing. They have a fleet department that is pretty much only concerned with moving volume at one and a great internet guy at the other.

Start with the above recc's and let the board know who you have talked to and where. The regional forums are GREAT for this! :D GOOD LUCK and keep us all posted! :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Thanks for the tips on the regional forum, I'll do that.

When I e-mailed, I e-mailed from the website, and the people responding had internet sales manager in their title. The most recent quote I got was for $76 under invoice (and then the rebate), so I'm going to broaden my net for some of the dealerships farther away.

Thanks again for your help. It is unbelievable how nice people are on this forum. I personally drive a Lexus IS300, so I hang out a bit on IS300.net, and man those guys are JERKS, so I was so afraid to be a newbie here... but you all are just so nice and helpful! :)

I saw from another post that you said Nor Cal was your area. Is going to Portland, OR too far away just to get a good deal? There are several members in my area (Seattle, WA) who have used Carr Subaru in Portland to get a quote from and then show other dealers. I did it and they offered $700 UNDER invoice as their first offer. I used that to get the car I REALLY wanted at $500 under from another dealer. :) Just let me know and I'm sure we can find some good contacts at Carr through the PNW Regional forum. :D

P.S. Lexus dudes can be JERKS in real life too! ;):lol:

P.P.S. Glad you're having a good experience on here. We like to hear it! :)

I can only speak for the Northeast Region/Subaru of New England. There are very few legacy sedans available. 22 Legacy Gts, 69 Legacy 2.5i sedans, 58 Legacy wagons, and 20 Spec B's. Most dealers only have one or two of these cars so they will try to hold invoice. My dealership is always giving cars away at net/net, or below, but with such a shortage we are selling what we have left at invoice-rebate. Your best bet is to use Subaru.com Homepage to get quotes from the nearest dealers within 100 miles.

warrior: Yeah, that is a problem this time of year. I found my rare GRP(red)/Taupe LT MT Sedan to be the only one left in TWO states (WA/OR) and I had to take a train/drive 6 hours to get it. Am I happy? HELL YES!!! :D :D :D It's always worth the drive. Even if it was going to cost me $300 for a plane ticket and a 10 hour drive back, I would have done it all over again. You'll spend the next several, maybe more, years looking at and driving this car everyday. CHOOSE THE CAR THAT MAKES YOU TRUELY EXCITED EVERYTIME YOU SEE IT! :) Mine does that for me and I couldn't be happier. :D

On a side note, it looks like both of your threads are starting to progress! Getting some recc's I see. Good job! :D

I just found a dealer in Long Island with about 9 LGT's in stock. Just emailed them for a quote. I plan on going there tomorrow... but out of those 9 only 2 are manuel... and of those two, none in the color i want. :(

Also keep in mind that you do not have to buy from the dealership where the car is located. Try to negotiate for the car you want at different dealerships, and they will get the car for you in a swap from another dealership.

Another thing that I always keep in mind is service, and usually the dealership you buy from tends to treat their customers a little better.

Like my dealership only gives out loaners to people that bought from there.

GL

X

---

I can only speak for the Northeast Region/Subaru of New England. There are very few legacy sedans available. 22 Legacy Gts, 69 Legacy 2.5i sedans, 58 Legacy wagons, and 20 Spec B's. Most dealers only have one or two of these cars so they will try to hold invoice. My dealership is always giving cars away at net/net, or below, but with such a shortage we are selling what we have left at invoice-rebate. Your best bet is to use Subaru.com Homepage to get quotes from the nearest dealers within 100 miles.

Hmm, I currently shopping for a LGT in the new england region... Do you mean, that's I'm screwed and I have to pay a premium?, I'm willing to drive far (I live in Montreal, QC), so no worry there, but do you think they would be willing to compete with NY dealerships? So far the quotes I received are Sky high :(

For the record, I'm importing the car in Canada. :icon_cool

Ummm... even at invoice, or a few $100, above minus rebate in the New England area, it's gonna be WAAAAAAAAY less then what Canadaian dealers charge. ;) I'm sure you've experienced the bastardly ways they overcharge up there. :D What's "sky high"? You'll have to be a bit more specific... sounds like invoice is what they're charging and that's not THAT bad. :)

^^^^

No you just might not be able to get one for less than invoice-rebate. If you are willing to drive just email all the dealers that you are willing to travel to, and ask them for thier best quote, Don't be afraid to let them know that you are requesting quotes from other dealers. The more open you are to color/options the easier it will be to get the best deal.

What I did when biying my Spec B was pit multiple dealers against each other.

I identified all of the Spec Bs within 150 miles of my house (the furthest I decided I would drive). Then I decided what dealer add-ons I wanted (spoiler, armrest extension, etc). Then I emailed the 14 dealers I had identified and requested a best and final quote. I made it very clear I was a serious buyer and gave them a deadline to respond. I also stated that this was not a negotiation...I wanted a best and final quote.

Then I took the lowest price and shopped it around to see if anyone would beat it.

Someone 2 miles from my office matched...and that's how I got my 06MY Spec B for around $30,800 (plus tax and tags). (Actually another dealer went lower by $200, but I figured saving the time off from work, the drive -- 150 miles -- and the time dealing with DMV here was definately worth more than $200!)

This took me a total of about 3 weeks, and by the end, only the dealer that I bought from would even talk to me. But I didn't really care about that. I was just happy I paid a lot less for my Spec B than the original "web-quote" I got from the guy I bought from -- $32,645!

I'd absolutely recommend trying this. Originally I wanted to set up a reverse auction, but I couldn't find consumer-based software for it. But email proved to work just as well.

Good luck!!!

Yeah, it’s true that you guys are cool around here… always helpful, and full of info, thanks for being :)

Ok, the best “sky high” quote I’ve received was $27495 (before title and taxes, but there won’t be any taxes since I’m Canadian, hehe, save for the super high Canadian taxes, hehe…), anyway it is $27495 for a brand new 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5EAT, no option.

I email 7 dealerships, and I got 2 real answers…

From there , what would be a good plan?

Yeah, it’s true that you guys are cool around here… always helpful, and full of info, thanks for being :)

Ok, the best “sky high” quote I’ve received was $27495 (before title and taxes, but there won’t be any taxes since I’m Canadian, hehe, save for the super high Canadian taxes, hehe…), anyway it is $27495 for a brand new 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5EAT, no option.

I email 7 dealerships, and I got 2 real answers…

From there , what would be a good plan?

1.) Be patient.

2.) Take the lower quote and re-email everyone but the guy that gave it to you. See if folks will beat it.

3.) Be patient. It took me three weeks or so to finally get to a price that I felt was as low as it was going to get.

4.) If you are willing to travel, open it up to more dealers.

5.) Be patient.

6.) Repeat the process as you get lower quotes.

:icon_cool

Did you use Subaru.com? Most of dealers have their own website now a day and they seem to response better through there. Google the dealers that didn't answer you and use their website to contact them directly. The other thing is to use the websites to search their inventory and ask them about cars that are on their lot. They will be more willing to talk to you and give you a good price if they can move a car out of their lot. Pricing is very regional too. I just used carsdirect.com to price out a 5EAT LGT and it's $26.4k here in Colorado but it's $27.6k in up state NY!

1.) Be patient.

2.) Take the lower quote and re-email everyone but the guy that gave it to you. See if folks will beat it.

3.) Be patient. It took me three weeks or so to finally get to a price that I felt was as low as it was going to get.

4.) If you are willing to travel, open it up to more dealers.

5.) Be patient.

6.) Repeat the process as you get lower quotes.

:icon_cool

Ok, I'm about to sent a quote request to a douzen or more dealers, by including the best quote I received so far, do you guys know by experience if it's better to state the name the dealership offering me the current best quote or leave it out?

Ok, I'm about to sent a quote request to a douzen or more dealers, by including the best quote I received so far, do you guys know by experience if it's better to state the name the dealership offering me the current best quote or leave it out?

I would not include the lowest price, or the dealership because then they(dealership) have a starting point to work from. I would guess most responses will beat the deal by only a couple of hundred dollars, when they could possibly beat it by thousands. The best bet is to get the lowest price, then if you prefer one dealer to another call prefered dealer and ask them to match the lowest price, at that point feel free to mention the other dealership, especially if it is close to the other.

I also just realized something from your last post, that $27.5k~ quote was without the rebate correct? That would put you at a purchase price of $25.5k which for a 5EAT GT LT is pretty good. What's the MSRP sticker say beore any "dealer-added" prices (AKA: second sticker)?

As for the e-mails, I would think to just say the price and if they want more info they can ask you. I stated the price to one of my dealers in just an e-mail and then later on he ended up asking who offered it. Sometimes just the idea of some other dealer getting the business works sometimes not... good luck! :D

Something I think that helps is to negotiate over e-mail and then when you actually go to the dealership bring lots of info with you. Plus brochures of cars that you are 'considering'. Let them see the brochures. I had a mazdaspeed6 brochure in my hand the whole time I was in Subaru and they did their best to keep me from walking down the street to the mazda dealer.

Something I think that helps is to negotiate over e-mail and then when you actually go to the dealership bring lots of info with you. Plus brochures of cars that you are 'considering'. Let them see the brochures. I had a mazdaspeed6 brochure in my hand the whole time I was in Subaru and they did their best to keep me from walking down the street to the mazda dealer.

Oh man, this is a great and simple idea! Thanks :)

Archived