LegacyGT.com

OBP+Swirls=Sad Panda

Hey all yon fellow Legacy owners.

I spent a good 4 hours claying/cleaning/polishing/sealing my Legacy once again a couple of weekends ago, and I just don't know how to get the swirls out at this point.

I have a Porter Cable, and I went over it with one of the 6.5" white cutting pads and SSR 2.5, and even over certain spots with SSR2 over that.. and they're still there, quite a few of them. It's maddening, because it shows up like the dickens on an OBP Legacy in direct light of any kind.

Suggestions? Anyone? :(

What you are experiencing is advanced stages of OCDetailing. :D You have already removed swirls that most people don't even notice and now you are left with what only the truely obsessive detailers can see. SSR 2.5 is heavy enough that it would have pretty much taken care of everything that can be polished out. If you have anything left then it is either haze from the 2.5 (which can be polished out with a lighter compound like SSR1 or something) or they are deeper in the clear coat than the surface scratches you already removed.

Your choices at this point are to evaluate your products and your processes. Here are some questions you should ask yourself...

Are you using the right cutting polish? (2.5 should be plenty strong enough)

Are you using the right cutting pad? (the white pad is good for paint cleaning, but it doesn't have the bite that an orange or yellow pad would have)

How are you using the PC? (You should be going in back and forth motions and then go side to side so you fully cover every inch of paint. Sort of a crosshatch design.)

That takes care of evaluating your Products and Process. Now let's look at the third 'P'. Patience.

Are you working the polish long enough? (Typically you should work the polish on a panel for about 5 minutes before reloading the pad. 5 minutes or until you see clumped product spitting out from under the pad, whichever comes first. Try to work panel by panel. This is a process that takes time. Don't use the polish like you are waxing the car. Take your time with it.)

Hopefully that helps identify where the problem might be. If all of that checks out and you are doing everything right, then it may be that you have marks that are deeper than what you can polish out. It happens to us all.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

What you are experiencing is advanced stages of OCDetailing. :D You have already removed swirls that most people don't even notice and now you are left with what only the truely obsessive detailers can see. SSR 2.5 is heavy enough that it would have pretty much taken care of everything that can be polished out. If you have anything left then it is either haze from the 2.5 (which can be polished out with a lighter compound like SSR1 or something) or they are deeper in the clear coat than the surface scratches you already removed.

Your choices at this point are to evaluate your products and your processes. Here are some questions you should ask yourself...

Are you using the right cutting polish? (2.5 should be plenty strong enough)

Are you using the right cutting pad? (the white pad is good for paint cleaning, but it doesn't have the bite that an orange or yellow pad would have)

How are you using the PC? (You should be going in back and forth motions and then go side to side so you fully cover every inch of paint. Sort of a crosshatch design.)

That takes care of evaluating your Products and Process. Now let's look at the third 'P'. Patience.

Are you working the polish long enough? (Typically you should work the polish on a panel for about 5 minutes before reloading the pad. 5 minutes or until you see clumped product spitting out from under the pad, whichever comes first. Try to work panel by panel. This is a process that takes time. Don't use the polish like you are waxing the car. Take your time with it.)

Hopefully that helps identify where the problem might be. If all of that checks out and you are doing everything right, then it may be that you have marks that are deeper than what you can polish out. It happens to us all.

I'd love to say that they're swirls only the obsessive will see, but it's not.. they're teeth-gnashingly apparent.

I guess what I'm going to have to do is grab an orange/yellow pad (which would you suggest?), and do this properly, using the techniques you suggested. How much polish should I put on for one go? Should I automatically go down the list from SSR2.5 to SSR2, and/or even SSR1? If not, when is it appropriate to do that?

I was going to put a couple more coats of wolfgang sealant on it for now, will that protect things okay for the time being, so I can polish it in 2-3 months? Or should I just strip everything down and go at it again?

Also, two things:

1) I have rock chips coming out my wazoo. Who's got a link for best product to repair 'em?

2) I have this.. smudge, it's on the hood scoop (on the hood side, not the upper-curve side), right smack dab in the middle. It looks like slightly lighter black paint. Clay won't take it out. Polish won't take it out. When I run my finger over it, it feels oh-so-slightly rougher than the rest of the paint. It wasn't there before. What can I do? Touch up?

Hey all yon fellow Legacy owners.

I spent a good 4 hours claying/cleaning/polishing/sealing my Legacy once again a couple of weekends ago, and I just don't know how to get the swirls out at this point.

I have a Porter Cable, and I went over it with one of the 6.5" white cutting pads and SSR 2.5, and even over certain spots with SSR2 over that.. and they're still there, quite a few of them. It's maddening, because it shows up like the dickens on an OBP Legacy in direct light of any kind.

Suggestions? Anyone? :(

Zaino PC Fusion, for me, took out everything that a professional with a PC and his favorite pre-cut couldn't.....And I did it by hand. Wish I had pictures of the before/after.

I'm in Peru right now but should be back in Sugar Hill (northwest Gwinnett) next week. I'd be glad to let you come by and use a little to see if it works for you.

I've got a Dr. Colorchip kit at home as well that I haven't had a chance to try out. I haven't seen anyone on here comment on it for paint chips but did a lot of searching and research online before buying it. I'll be posting the results and a review once I get the heck back in the country.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Archived