LegacyGT.com

Another long trip summary

Just got back from a 3100 mile trip down through WA, OR, ID into Moab UT to visit Arches NP. Then on through Monument valley and Grand Canyon before heading back through E. Ca and then up I-5 from Mt. Shasta. The LGT performed flawlessly overall, though rattles under the shifter and dash have gotten worse. If Subie could get the rattles under control, I'd have no trouble calling the LGT a 'poor man's Audi'. I can sit in our seats all day without issues, the LGT is a very comfortable cruiser.

I really noticed the power loss when accelerating in 100+ heat.

I got about 26.5 MPG overall, which was about the same as the 3700 mile trip I took last year down to New Mexico.

Key differences from last years' 3700 mile trip:

It was about 20 degrees warmer this trip, yet the temp gauge never moved from it's usual spot once it's fully warmed up. I was pretty impressed with this, since there were several periods of 80+ cruising up long inclines with AC on in 100+ degree temps. Our cooling system seems well up to the task.

I did not use M1 oil this time. I used 2.5 qts. Chevron delo 15w40 and 2 qts Havoline syth 5W30. I used about 1/2 qt. oil this trip, almost 1 qt. less than the last long trip with M1.

Sounds like a great trip. I'd love to go for a long road trip in the Subie, but whenever the wife and I do long trips we alway have a ton of gear, therefore we take our Vue. Shoulda gotten a wagon. ;)

Couple of questions. Why did you mix oil? I've never heard of anyone doing that. Is the Chevron syn., too?

And how fast were you averaging? When I went to Florida from South Bend, Ind., before my stage 2 mods, I usually ran at 75-80 mph and averaged about 24 mpg according to the computer (but I never calculated it at the fuel pump).

Check out the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com Lots of folks mix that participate on that forum. My main reason for mixing was that I didn't want just a 5w30 oil since I knew I'd be seeing 100 degrees plus as well as several inclines. Our manual states 5w30 up to 100 degrees. However, once I got back I didn't want too thick of an oil in my crankcase for the remainder of the oil change interval. Hence the mix. And yes, I'm probably overthinking the whole thing :) The Chevron 15w40 is not a synth, but a heavy duty oil normally used for diesels, incl. turbodiesels. It's also rated for gasoline engines. I've been using a blend of 1.5 qts 5W30 Chevron synth/3 qts 5W30 Chevron dino (or Havoline equivalent) since I switched off of M1 about 20k miles ago.

I drove 75 - 80 mph for the most part, though slower for stretches since about 50% of the trip was 2 lane roads and with RV's etc as well as passing through small towns, two lane roads tend to be slower going. I had lots of inclines/declines as well, as I traversed many mtn ranges.

<waves> (a bit late - you passed by on I-5 hours ago)

Sounds like a great trip. I may do a trip up to Whistler later this summer, so we'll see how it goes. I like the long trips, but two kids in a car for 8 hours is a bit much...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Deneb: Sounds like a fun ride..I went thru Arches NP a few yrs ago in my Forrester (Same Turbo Eng as out LGT)a nice ride...Just made a 2000 + trip

inu Leg ltd GT wagon from Fl to Soo Ontario Canada-got over 26 MPG the entire trip. Very comfortable ride. I still am amazed at the power the flat four cyl. puts out...

Luck, Deadeye

Duketrout, I envy your location. Flyfishing is much more satisfying where you are than in Northern Indiana. I gave it up a decade ago. Miss my 4 weight, 7 foot flyrod (fun with an 18 inch cutbow on it in Colorado!). 6 inch trout suck (and, no, my wife did not write that!).

Duketrout, I envy your location. Flyfishing is much more satisfying where you are than in Northern Indiana. I gave it up a decade ago. Miss my 4 weight, 7 foot flyrod (fun with an 18 inch cutbow on it in Colorado!). 6 inch trout suck (and, no, my wife did not write that!).

Well, due to a busy work schedule, I only get out about once a month, so this time of year it is almost painful to have such great trout fishing so close, yet so far...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived