LegacyGT.com

Subaru warranty questions

[quote name='cotmfk'][quote name='gurpman']I view a longer warranty as similar to any other feature like leather or moonroof. I'd rather it remain an "option" (i.e. choice to purchase extended warranty) than for it to come standard and raise the MSRP. Let's face it, when a manufacturer offers a long warranty, they're not doing it as a favor to the customers -- it's factored in to the price of the vehicle.[/quote] I agree that they factor it into MSRP. Cars are lasting longer and longer now than they did before. It's great for the consumer! I would prefer it to remain an option as well. I fully plan on modifying the Scoob if I get it, and that would mean that the warranty would quickly disappear. I know about the M+M act (forget what the full name is), but as I mod more and more of the car, there is less and less warranty for me anyways.[/quote] If you made it an option, it would virtually be an extended warranty. For as small a percentage that will mod (and not looked so highly upon but the mfg), more will consider or buy the car with this fact.

[quote name='jeffempey']As far as warranty, Subaru is planning to change to a 4 year 50,000 warranty for the 2005 model year. This is not set in stone yet, but we (car dealer) think it will happen. Jeff Empey 412-343-1111 Ext. 832[/quote] That sounds nice, should make a better impresion towards average consumer

[quote name='cotmfk']I agree that they factor it into MSRP. Cars are lasting longer and longer now than they did before. It's great for the consumer! I would prefer it to remain an option as well. I fully plan on modifying the Scoob if I get it, and that would mean that the warranty would quickly disappear. I know about the M+M act (forget what the full name is), but as I mod more and more of the car, there is less and less warranty for me anyways.[/quote] I believe you're talking about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement act.

I've owned several Mazda's (two trucks, one '93 RX-7). I have eagerly awaited these new cars (not to replace, but to supplement my Subaru), but it might pay for you to wait. I'm waiting for Mazdaspeed versions of these cars, and my newest car and driver. It didn't say what was planned for the 3, but a 2.3 liter Turbo with 280hp is going to be available for the 6, at least in Japan only for now. But if they had a turbo Protege, I figure a Turbo Mazda 3 is not out of the question.

[quote name='kage'][quote name='cotmfk']I agree that they factor it into MSRP. Cars are lasting longer and longer now than they did before. It's great for the consumer! I would prefer it to remain an option as well. I fully plan on modifying the Scoob if I get it, and that would mean that the warranty would quickly disappear. I know about the M+M act (forget what the full name is), but as I mod more and more of the car, there is less and less warranty for me anyways.[/quote] I believe you're talking about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement act.[/quote] Yep, that's the one! Thanks :)

[quote name='SUBE555'] If you made it an option, it would virtually be an extended warranty. For as small a percentage that will mod (and not looked so highly upon but the mfg), more will consider or buy the car with this fact.[/quote] You're right. I don't consider myself an average consumer, though, so it's all good. I have been working on my own cars for a bit now, so I am getting pretty good and knowledgable at it! :) At some point, I plan on taking an ASE certification course so that I can perform every service, repair, etc imaginable. I generally don't like going to the dealer for anything, but I still do have dependence on them for more complicated services. Working on cars is a hobby for me, and it also happens to save me money! :) If I am able to get the Leg and keep the Evo, then I will probably just mod the Evo until the Leg is out of warrany. Not sure yet, though.

Archived