LegacyGT.com

Climate control swap

RLB

Is it possible to swap out an automatic climate control system for a manual system? I am considering a new Legacy but I am disappointed in the combined radio/climate control unit. I could care less about having automatic climate control and I already own some aftermarket stereo equipment that I'd like to install. I hate the look of having 2 radios in a car, so I'm wondering what are the physical differences between the two systems beyond the control box? Is it possible to install a manual control box in place of an auto unit?

Thanks,

Rob

anyhting is poosible but ive yet to see someone do this, from my knowledge on installs the manual (on most cars) is simply a cable sorta like a 10 speed cable for the brakes, and some controls use a potentiometer (sp?) to increse/decrese voltage for the speed of the fan.

with the hvac style like on the lgt it has circuit boards and uses servo style motors to move and activate things around.....

i'm on the same boat as you (and many others) options you may consider are the jl audio cleansweep or a unit made by rockford fosgate.... long story short they're like a loc but with a much cleaner signal and some other doodads like aux in (aka ipod or mp3plyr,etc)

another is just sucking it up and install an aftermarket hu in the cubby (thats the road i may travel) youll need a din cubby adapter from avo (its made by subaru btw)

i cant justify the cost of the jl cs if i could just get a good deck for less, ive been looking at deck that have a similiar look like the kenwood ez-500. from there im gonna hook up a 10" sub, polk spkrs in the doors and a 4 ch rf amp.

another is just sucking it up and install an aftermarket hu in the cubby (thats the road i may travel) youll need a din cubby adapter from avo (its made by subaru btw)

I hope you own a RHD LGT, because the AVO piece will not fit LHD cars.

ignore him, he'll go away.

is it angled or something? hows does it differ? ive seen many photos of it please expound...

I'm an a$$ and thought you said double din. That part will work. This one will not:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/300_doubledin001.jpg

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived