LegacyGT.com

Wandering on freeway

2006 Legacy 2.5i wagon automatic, took delivery 3 months ago; the car seem wandering at highway speed; meaning the steering wheel is not maintaining the car straight; at time it seem drifting to either side.

Took the techican out for a test drive last week, he can't find anything wrong; as usual!!

Any experience from you folks out there?

It took a few months for the tires to scrub in on my '05.

I found the wandering disconcerting, but it gradually decreased with no overt remedy. I believe (with no proof, of course), it was the tires.

The car is now quite stable on the highway. You can be sure my next tires will not be RE92s.

P.

What everyone said above :D

You can also check the tire pressure and make sure they are all correct.

If it pulls to the left at one point in the road, then to the right at another...it could be that you just aren't used to an AWD...Is this your first AWD car? Most that come to the new platform tend to think it drifts side to side more then usual until you get used to it pulling with the grooves of the road.

If it's always just pulling to one side, then def get the alignment checked out....

^ +1 to everyone.

Check tire pressures and alignment as first-line troubleshooting. :)

Also, it seems that our LGTs are somewhat susceptible to cross-winds - many have cited its performance in this area as "average," at-best. Various LGTers have cited that dropping the vehicle and/or incorporating a front lip has/have seemed to help.

A different set of tires have gone tremendously towards "curing" my ills. However, going wider also means that I'm tramlining a bit more.

Gain a little, lose a little - ain't that life? ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I had the same thing occur when I 1st bought my TSX. I brought it in to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong (alignment was not the issue).

They said the wider footprint of the 17" tire is going to follow the lines and the slant of the roads more than a narrower tire. Tramlining, is what it was called I think. I got used to it in my TSX.

My Legacy doesn't do it as bad, but here in PA, I travel on some heavily pitched roads. So if I am in the right lane, it is slightly pitched to the right --> \ so the car will pull to the right. Same thing to the left etc...

I would have the alignment checked just as a precaution but I think it may be more of an issue of the tires following the roads pitch/grooves. Like I said, I noticed it in my TSX only because it was newer and I was critical of every little thing that was different from my older accord (which had 15" tires and never seemed to wander)

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

Thank you for all the comments. As a matter of factm this is my third Subaru; 97 Outback Limited; 2001 Foster Blue Ridge SE. No problem on the previous cars. However, this is the first one with 17" low profile wheel.

Another issue I have is that the steering wheel does exhabit a resistance to

return to the center position; or it does but with some effort; wonder why?

Yea, the scoring on the concrete and the less forgiving tire = wandering. Also, there is a very slight concavity where it's higher in the middle and lower on the outermost lanes. If you're in the right lane, you tend to drift right, on the left lane you tend to drift left.

But at low speed I have no drifting from side-to- side though; therefore I don't think it's the alignment issue.

Correcting my previous posting, what I mean it's that the steering wheel has a tendency not to return to the center after making a turn. Normally it should return to center position with very little effort; could it be the low profile tires?

Archived