LegacyGT.com

Oil Change + Problems?

Took my car in yesterday for its 6000 mile oil change and rotation. Halfway through the deal, the service guy asked me to come in to the garage. Thinking he's trying to sell me on something I reluctantly go with him. Instead he points out a layer of "slime" (that was the term he used) on the underbody of the car. it was gray/brown/dark green in color. It was layered on the bottom of several parts of the underbody in the front area of the car, but it definitely did not look mud. He said he wasnt sure what it was, but that it was obviously a new well cared for car (which it is) and to take it back to the dealer for a warranty look at it. He thought maybe the transmission pan was leaking. I have kind of an intermediate knowledge of how cars work, so I'm not sure if this is a possibility or not. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Will I have any problems taking my car into a different dealer for warranty repair than where I bought it? The dealer I bought the car from is 2 hrs away, compared to another other one 20 min away.

Also afterwards I noticed the employees all walking around checking out my car in the garage. One comes in and compliments me on it and says he heard they have Porsche engines in it. I told him that wasnt the case, but that its fast. Nice to have some compliments.

Thanks guys.

Go Cardinals!

Wow, maybe you should run from that dealership!

I am sure many more will chime in, but all our cars come covered on the underside with a slimy grease called cosmoline. This is to protect the underbody while in transit, and it will slowly burn off with time.

Most new cars come covered with this undercoating from factory. Nothing to worry about, but the tech should have known that.

Is this a mixed manufacturer dealership, or strictly Subaru?

GL

X

---

Wow, maybe you should run from that dealership!

I am sure many more will chime in, but all our cars come covered on the unerside with a slimy grease called cosmoline. This is to protect the underbody while in transit, and it will slowly burn off with time.

Most new cars come covered with this undercoating from factory. Nothing to worry about, but the tech should have known that.

Is this a mixed manufacturer dealership, or strictly Subaru?

GL

X

Thanks for the quick reply!

The closer dealership to me is a stand alone Subaru dealership I believe. The other dealership (the one I bought the car from) is a Nissan/Subaru dealership.

However, the place I got my oil changed was just a nice local service shop (similar to a midas, jiffy lube, etc; not a Subaru dealer)

So its sounding like this substance is just cosmoline to you? I've never heard of that stuff before. Anyway, thanks again!

Go Cardinals!

Yeah - everytime I put mine up on the rack, I scrape a little more off. Absolutely nothing to worry about as it's on all of the Subarus coming out of the factory.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah - everytime I put mine up on the rack, I scrape a little more off. Absolutely nothing to worry about as it's on all of the Subarus coming out of the factory.

SBT

oh good. Glad to have this confirmed by all of you. I didnt want something to be wrong with my baby already. I've only had her for 3 months! I'm glad I dont need to go to the dealer.

Go Cardinals!

Archived