LegacyGT.com

Lighter

jennjay

I beleive the power outlet will be fine if used for other applications, just the lighter should not be used if the outlet has been used for a phone, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The big reason to get rid of the lighter is that I will probably use the outlet for another purpose and don't want to accidently use lighter after that as it may cause a problem

[quote name='Driver72']All those lighters are standard size, so you should easily be able to find a cap to cover it. Just remember, you can't stick your cell phone power cord or any other lighter sized power cord into that slot then, it will just burn it.[/quote] How is it going to burn? :lol: The lighter works by sending an electrical current through the coil which heats up. Sticking something else in there isn't going to burn it. I have however noticed that on newer cars, the lighter outlet is made so that only the lighter works in it. My last car was like that, there were 2 outlets, one power, one lighter. You could not plug a device into the lighter slot as it would not work....

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']That would be cool to be driving and all of a sudden you cell phone bursts into flames....[/quote] stranger things have happened....there have been some cases where the cell phone explodes in your hand while you are using it...that would suck

[quote]The lighter works by sending an electrical current through the coil which heats up. Sticking something else in there isn't going to burn it.[/quote] Actually, I think there have been problems with people using their lighters after using a cell-phone (or radar detector, etc.). It seems that the cigarette lighter adapters bend the barrel of the recepticle. This supposedly prevents the cigarette lighter from popping out when it heats up, which could cause a fire.

[quote name='eamiller'][quote]The lighter works by sending an electrical current through the coil which heats up. Sticking something else in there isn't going to burn it.[/quote] Actually, I think there have been problems with people using their lighters after using a cell-phone (or radar detector, etc.). It seems that the cigarette lighter adapters bend the barrel of the recepticle. This supposedly prevents the cigarette lighter from popping out when it heats up, which could cause a fire.[/quote] That may be the case, but the person above made it seem like whatever you stuck in that slot was going to get burned, which simply isn't the case. My point was that the slot isn't what gets the lighter hot, the slot just delivers the power. I can potentially see how the lighter could get stuck...not a fun situation i can image... :roll:

So why hasn't the insdustry standardized on a MUCH SMALLER connector for powering things other than cigarette lighters? All we need is one manufacturer to start, and as long as they don't screw it up by pattenting it, trade-marking it, or copyrighting it, it should take off. The transition could be handled by a dummy cigarette lighter plug with the new smaller plug in the end to allow new devices to be used in either old stile or new stile cars. Those with new stile cars could throw away the adaptor

[quote name='D-2.5-GT'][quote name='eamiller'][quote]The lighter works by sending an electrical current through the coil which heats up. Sticking something else in there isn't going to burn it.[/quote] Actually, I think there have been problems with people using their lighters after using a cell-phone (or radar detector, etc.). It seems that the cigarette lighter adapters bend the barrel of the recepticle. This supposedly prevents the cigarette lighter from popping out when it heats up, which could cause a fire.[/quote] That may be the case, but the person above made it seem like whatever you stuck in that slot was going to get burned, which simply isn't the case. My point was that the slot isn't what gets the lighter hot, the slot just delivers the power. I can potentially see how the lighter could get stuck...not a fun situation i can image... :roll:[/quote] I can image too! :o

I've had the reverse happen to me in previous cars... Using the cigarette lighter slot for the cell phone bent the flanges in the receptacle so that they were too loose. The lighter would no longer stay in and it would never get hot. I fixed it by bending the flanges back with my key (while the car was off :) ).

This is sort of related and might give someone some ideas. Here it goes: On my Wife's '03 Legacy, we desired to have more cigarette/12V plugs than the one it supplied. We had phone chargers, DVD players for trips, AC invertors for trips, etc. so I bought one of those 4 socket boxes for aroung $9 and "stylishly" (meaning that it shows, but it could be mistaken for a factory option if you didn't know better) mounted it to the center console between the console and the passenger seat. It is wired directly to a constant source of power. It's always on. We now keep the fake lighter blank in the original socket. We usually put a phone charger in one of the new sockets. The remaining sockets are covered when not in use with unique designed super balls that you get from grocery store vending machines. They mostly just sit there and can get knocked off but still, they kind of look okay. I've also seen various covers that can be used in auto parts stores. I haven't done any of this with my '05 GT yet. I will probably only mount one extra socket in it. Alternatively, I might just wire the existing socket in the armrest so that it is always powered.

[quote name='jaycee'] Using the cigarette lighter slot for the cell phone bent the flanges in the receptacle so that they were too loose. The lighter would no longer stay in and it would never get hot. .[/quote] Hmm, sounds perfect. I'll be able to make sure the lighter NEVER works in my car.

Archived