LegacyGT.com

Modding My Legacy

The cat-back nets very little gains, comparatively, to other exhaust component replacements (which you've already accounted for).

For LGTs riding with their stock snails, it's more of an aural-satisfaction modification than a true power-freeing one. While it will net some gains, whether or not such gains will be appreciable "by butt" is highly debateable.

If you're "going for power," just be aware of this - and know that all you might see are gains on the dyno, but may or may not be felt (and even when it is felt, can be minimal, compared to what your other mods have freed-up).

If you're "going for power," those wheels and tires can be put to good use, too. Better rubber will net you much better traction, and can both lower your stopping distances considerably as well as net you a better launch. Similarly, being smart about wheel choice and going for a good weight-loss as compared to stock will not only drastically increase your handling capabilities, but can also further help acceleration.

As for sways, it's typically recommended from the "suspension gurus" such as Keefe that they be among the last items added in the handling sector, as they should be used to "fine tune" the vehicle's handling behavior to suit the driver, and should not necessarily be a first-line modification. The most often recommended order-of-approach in the handling department is tires/rims, then springs/struts or coilovers, followed by sways and similar fine-tuning components.

:)

Take things easy, brother - take a step back, devote a couple of weeks to reading and searching, thoroughly, these Forums, and get a plan going. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The cat-back nets very little gains, comparatively, to other exhaust component replacements (which you've already accounted for).

For LGTs riding with their stock snails, it's more of an aural-satisfaction modification than a true power-freeing one. While it will net some gains, whether or not such gains will be appreciable "by butt" is highly debateable.

If you're "going for power," just be aware of this - and know that all you might see are gains on the dyno, but may or may not be felt (and even when it is felt, can be minimal, compared to what your other mods have freed-up).

If you're "going for power," those wheels and tires can be put to good use, too. Better rubber will net you much better traction, and can both lower your stopping distances considerably as well as net you a better launch. Similarly, being smart about wheel choice and going for a good weight-loss as compared to stock will not only drastically increase your handling capabilities, but can also further help acceleration.

As for sways, it's typically recommended from the "suspension gurus" such as Keefe that they be among the last items added in the handling sector, as they should be used to "fine tune" the vehicle's handling behavior to suit the driver, and should not necessarily be a first-line modification. The most often recommended order-of-approach in the handling department is tires/rims, then springs/struts or coilovers, followed by sways and similar fine-tuning components.

:)

Take things easy, brother - take a step back, devote a couple of weeks to reading and searching, thoroughly, these Forums, and get a plan going. ;)

+1

thanks tsi+wrx thats why im asking lots of questions to get more than one opinion and ive done plenty of searching as well lol. I only started researching this recently and i got a little exited about it. I got all summer for this project so its no rush. So what kinda wheels/tires would u recommend?

Hello, this is my first post , i have just recently put on a perrin down pipe, GP moto headers with integral uppipe, Perrin crank pulley, Perrin front and rear sway bars, Perrin front and rear endlinks, K&N Air intake Italia Cross drilled and slotted rotors, Hawk rear brake pads, EBC red stuff Front pads, Goodrinch SS lines and My Cobb AP is coming in tomorrow and im have an appointment with TDC on Wednesday :)

I would have to say the headers are definetly something to get first more than mufflers. it makes the turbo spool up so much sooner and there is no lag when u throw it into second. it is a totally new car. the end links are definetly something that needs upgraded if u drive ur car hard the stock ones are pencil thick and suck. thanks for your time TOm~

thanks tsi+wrx thats why im asking lots of questions to get more than one opinion and ive done plenty of searching as well lol. I only started researching this recently and i got a little exited about it. I got all summer for this project so its no rush.

Cool beans - sounds like you've got a good plan going! :)

So what kinda wheels/tires would u recommend?

That's very hard to say....

You've got to ask yourself some very hard questions.

First, you have to decide on a realistic budget. If you're thinking about running two sets of devoted tires - one dedicated set in the summer, and another set of all-seasons or dedicated snow/ice tires for the winter, obviously, in most cases, that's going to run you more cash than, say, getting a set of all-seasons alone. However, what's less apparent is that in many cases, while you will be extending the usable life of your dedicated "twin set" by a factor of at least 2 to 3x, your typically "harder use" of the summer tires, combined with the seasonal overlap that may cause you to use your winter snow/ice tires for a few weeks on dry, abrasive pavement, can also cause you to need replacement sets sooner. Additionally, you'll need to consider the cost for at least one other set of rims - or at least the seasonal cost of mounting/balancing, should you decide to simply stick with your stockers all-around. And finally, speaking of the stocker rims, if you do decide to reserve their use for the winter, it will further factor into potential purchase decisions for, say, big-brake kits, which may present clearance issues.

Regardless of which tire combination you choose - or if you stick with all-seasons - you should realize that it's almost always a compromise between price/cost, dry traction, wet (or snow/slush/ice) traction, ride comfort/noise, and durability/treadwear. There are countless posts here on LGT about various tires, and this amount of data, combined with my confessed low level of knowledge in this area makes it very hard for me to give you any recommendations, and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. :redface::)

As for rims, here, the compromises are between cost/price, weight (and remember that the weight of the tire carcass will factor into the overall performance equation, too), size, and strength (and also, potentially, big-brake kit clearance issues). As with above, my level of knowledge is far from comprehensive in this area, and I truly think you'd be better served if I simply pointed you off in the right direction, rather than to try and give any "advice." ;)

In both cases, reading some of the stickied posts in the "Wheels and Tires" sub-forum authored by "Xenonk," brother Keefe, will get you started off very well, and will serve as an excellent knowledge-base for you.

Best of luck! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I agree that wheels and tires should definatelly be upgraded. There is no benfit in increasing power if you cant get it to the road.

I also agree that there is no need to get a catback yet. While it does make your car sound 'cool' the LGT exhaust is pretty free flowing and will not be a bottle neck at this point in your upgrade. Plus, like TSi+WRX posted the catback net very little gain for the cost.

Happy modding. I look forward to seeing what your final choices are.

Hey RooR, I feel like my situation was very similar to yours. I'm not a DIY autofreak and I wanted the best quality and reliability possible. First off, make sure to find the best installer you can even if it costs you more. You want your set-up bulletproof. Modwise you're on the right track. I did almost exactly the same upgrades except I have the PDE DP and UP. I got protune but if the TDC maps are good then you'll be ok. The autospeed exhaust is sick and worth the premium. There's a reason that all the pros recommend it so don't let anyone dissuade you from getting it. You're also definitely going to need to upgrade your handling. At the very least get some new tires. I bit the bullet and stepped up to coilovers, but that was probably the best decision I made. Megan Racing COs are good and wont bankrupt you. At this point the only other mod I'm considering are brake lines/pads.

Go any further i.e turbo and fuel upgrades, things will start getting complicated and unreliable and byebye warranty.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM.

...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

Hks Up - $125

perrin Dp (catless)- $299

borla Cat Back- Approx. $800

ap W/tdc Map- $700

that Will Put You At Stg 2 , Give A Nice Deep Sound , And Leave About $1000 For Susp. Or Tire Upgrades.

If you can live without the Nice Deep Sound save the $800 (catback), addit to the the $1000 subiesales05gt mentioes above and spend the entie r $1800 on Susp and wheels/tires. :icon_bigg

My whole take on this is:

Why upgrade your handling, if you're everyday driving? Unless you're autocrossing, you won't need coilovers (springs, struts whichever you want). Strut braces, sway bars, end links, like everyone has said, they're for fine tuning.

I do partially agree with new wheels and tires, although I really wouldn't say that you needed new tires until you start slippin these. Wheels, yeah you can have some drivability gains by goin with lighter ones and man they would look good. Of course, if you get new wheels it makes no sense to get crappy tires or remount the Potenza's, get some top notch tires if you get new wheels.

As for your exhaust, get what you want. We all know it's not gonna make huge gains in power, but neither is any other 1 bolt-on. My first upgrade was a K&N CAI, don't know how much more power it gave me, but the sound is awesome and I'm stompin on it all the time, so to me, it feels faster. What I'm sayin is if you like the way the catback sounds and it only gets you 2-3hp, you'll drive it like it has more power, and to you it will.

For me, I'd get a CAI, Up, Dp, headers, STS and AccessPort with whatever map you like, just for power at least. If you wanna do all the suspension/wheels/tires, do it, it's your car, you don't hafta impress anyone else with it.

Well there's my take, everyone can feel free to ridicule me as they please. Like I said earlier, it's your car, do what you want to with it, what feels best to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lookin to buy the car and i've been asking a few people around here what would they do first..how reliable is the car and stuff like that. If i was to eventually get the LGT i'd do

1. Up pipe

2. STS

3. Down pipe

4. AP

and i agree if you got a few bucks left over get some nice 18's or 19's(might hurt the comfort of the ride) with some summer high performance tires...and use the stockies as a winter tire..you should should be good to go...good luck!

Ok after talking with the guys at TDC i am deciding to go with this:

Cobb uppipe

Cobb downpipe

Auto Speed Exhaust

Perrin Top Mount Intercooler (since i live in the desert in AZ)

Accessport with TDC map

and all this runs me exactly $3150

watcha guys think. help would be appreciated

especially different suggestions for exhausts... tell me what you guys like. Im looking for deep and powerful but not too overwhelming.

I just installed the AutoSpeed turbo back a few days ago. Nice rumble and not too loud. Quality piece too.

Archived