LegacyGT.com

stock rear suspension clunk

jap_subarulvr

I have been hearing a noticable clunking noise from the rear suspension on my 05 LGT. It happens during cornering, either direction, and more often when the car is loaded with rear passengers. Usually the noise comes from the opposite side of the car from the direction I am turning. Anyone else having this problem. I have checked out the sway bar mounts and all bolts in the rear suspension and have found nothing loose. I have had the car to the dealer and, of course, can't replicate the noise for them, hence, they can't do anything for me. The car has 30000 miles on it now. Please resond if you have a similar issue. Thanks.:confused:

I've had a similar situation with my front suspension. I was able to replicate it by going over speed bumps at about 15mph and with the steering turned all the way to the direction it usually happens. I had to get a couple guys from the shop to hop in for the load. Apparently it was a bolt that connects the control arm which was a little loose. They had to spend an hour tightening every bold they can see.

PS: If you installed any springs, it could be that the springs weren't installed properly. If the bolt that holds the spring in the strut is not tight enough it would make these clunks.

I haven't put anything new on the car. I also had the noise you talked about in the front end and it was the h-bracket just in front of the steering rack. All those bolts were loose. I found out about that from visiting this forum and so I have returned to see if someone can help me with this problem too.

• 3 weeks later...

An update,

I cleaned up the rear supports for the rear struts and everything else back there, and still have this annoying clunk whenever the load comes off the rear of the car. Such as moderate braking, turning, or even when just shifting the car into drive. I must be the only person with this problem. I can't seem to find anyone else that does.:icon_conf

Archived