LegacyGT.com

'99 Owners listen up

This thread applies to any trim of the 1999 Legacy. It might be worth stickying.

I recieved some questions on Ultimatesubaru.net about my speedometer repair. The solution is simple. The speedometer has to be replaced. Do not waste your money like I did because the dealer doesnt know what they are talking about.

This problem is occuring more frequently and I spoke to several dealers in PA who said that they have been replacing them but nothing has come from Subaru yet. I called SOA and they informed me that this is not a recogonized problem.

I wrote a second letter (my first was a complaint. They told me to screw myself) to SOA asking them to send a service bulletin to the service centers and to recogonize this issue as a flaw with the 1999 Legacy and to investigate it. I recieved no response.

So if anyone who has expirienced this problem could please write to SOA informing them of your problems with the speedometer it would help us all. A new speedometer itself costs $150 + 2 hours of labor. Personally, I think it is ridiculous that a car this age would be suffering this problem.

Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru Plaza

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Attn: Customer/Dealer Services

well, thank God i haven't had any problems with mine yet. But even if I did, i'm damn sure I wouldn't be paying 2hrs labor to replace such an easy thing. Especially the moronacus subaru dealers around here.

If they charge anything like the Honda dealership I work for that's around $150 in labor that takes 15mins to do.

Then again, i'm a mechanic, so certain things seem easy to me.

'99 Legacy 2.2L 30th.

(Stage 1 Exedy clutch, ACT flywheel, Custom Intake, JSPEC Hood, GT-B bumper, 17" SportMax Wheels, Premier DEH-P780MP, 40GB iPod)

- Jason

I see. Well the didnt make me pay the labor costs. But, thats only because I spent $200 replacing the speed sensor because they didnt know what they were doing. And of couse, SOA doesnt stick by the servicestar quality full of bullshita whatever its called.

LOL, My fuel gauge stop working today!

I'm going to do some research to find if the cluster or the sensor is bad, b\c it started dropping after I was parked for a minute with the car still running.

Although I had my stereo cranked pretty good, so maybe the bass just messed with the sensor, who knows; I'll just have to go beat on it for a little bit to see if it reacts.

damn soobs!

'99 Legacy 2.2L 30th.

(Stage 1 Exedy clutch, ACT flywheel, Custom Intake, JSPEC Hood, GT-B bumper, 17" SportMax Wheels, Premier DEH-P780MP, 40GB iPod)

- Jason

Archived