LegacyGT.com

A/C issue with Manual systems?

'06 SE 2.5i 4AET 4,000miles Not the Auto A/C, plain old manual.

I noticed last week when it got really hot on the east coast that I had an issue with the A/C. It would blow really cold, then sort of cold, and then really cold again...roughly every 15-20 seconds. I had been in the car for almost 30 minutes and I noticed I was still not comfortable in the car. I put my hand on the vents & I could feel the temperature change. It was about 95 degrees outside with humidity.

I brought the car to the dealer this week, they found that my system was under-charged from the factory, so they evacuated & re-charged the system, checked for leaks and pronunced it fixed. Now, it blows, really, really cold, and then sort of cool in the same manner. I immediately went back and had the tech take a ride with me so that I could show him what was going on. He sticks a thermometer in the vents (an analog one, not digital) and it's blowing 40 degrees so it's to spec. Of course it was 70 degrees outside so the difference is not as extreme, but still noticeable. I told him that his thermometer would react too slowly to register a change, but you could feel it. He did feel it, and then spouted about some sort of thermostat type sensor under the glove box. I pointed out that I have a manual control to my A/C but he said it's still there and could be what I am feeling. I don't believe him, or the service manager that told me the same thing. It was warm again today, and I had trouble getting comfortable..too cold and then to warm, every 15-20 seconds.

My question before I go back there next week during a heat wave, is those of you with manual A/C in the '05 & '06 cars, is there a change in your temperature on such a cycle or does it blow one temp until you modify it?

Yeah its a tricky system, there are many threads out there on it.......and they can't fix it cuz its normal!

The best answer I have for you, is DO NOT use the auto function. Turn it on by just hitting the fan up arrow, and set the temps to what you want. With Auto off it won't try to adjust the air flow thus not blasting cold air on and off.....

You miss my point. I don't have an Auto system, just the plain old manual. 4 fan speeds, temp control (blue to red) & directional controls. Yet the tech & the service manager insist that there is some sort of thermostat that is changing the temperature of my airflow.

I repeat my question. Those of you with manual controls, does your temperature fluctuate every 15-20 seconds with the A/C on?

No problem, I edited it to make it more clear.

Still, with 44 people reading the thread as of now, no one has said thier system works this way.

This is my 2nd Subaru, purchased at a different dealer, further away, due to lack of satisfaction with the service dept of the 1st, and so far I am not too impressed. I am really starting to miss my honda dealer...how sad is that?

I have exactly the same problem, since I bought my 05 5MT Legacy, 2 years ago!!!!! When it is sunny, it is worst. Last wednesday, it was more confortable to open all windows without A/C. I wrote to Subaru Canada last december because this is a very very very annoying problem :icon_mad: .

This week, they found that the problem could be cause by a defect sensor. I can give you more detail at the end of the week and to tell you if they finally found the problem!!!!!

i've got the manual climate controls also, i haven't notice the problem you mentioined but something just came up since last week...

when i only have the fan on, the air that blows out is smelly, but gone after i turn on the A/C... what do i do?

Dealer will look and fix it under warranty? or just calls it another "normal" mishap?

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

I think that I may have the same problem... But I also feel that overall, the air conditioning is not cold enough. Additionally, I do get this dank, dirty smell when I turn the fan on as well.

Ok here's the deal....

The cycling is normal, what's was not was the pressure reading of the coolant and they replaced the compressor. Seems to work better, but that cycling thing makes it a bit difficult to cool the car when you first get in....

Uncredible, :) I wait for this moment for so long. Finally dealer found the problem with my AC. They changed the temp sensor that sits in the grille in front of the car. Now, temperature inside the car can be cold enough. Today, with more then 30 Celcius (88 F) I've had no problem. It is not perfect but so better than before. Dealer said this is the first time they see this problem on a Legacy 2.5i. For those who wants the part number : 73730AG00A (in Canada).

Which good luck to others that has the same problem!

I have no idea what would cause the problem...

Seems odd tho, if it thought it was warmer than it actually is, wouldn't it run the AC longer/harder?

The AC runs longer then before (not harder). I means, it run only few seconds before but now, it stays cold longer. Still I have cold and less cold air but not as much warm as before. It is not perfect but now it can be fresh inside the car. This is something that never append before when it was very hot outside.

Archived