LegacyGT.com

Anybody know the weight of the Pirelli...

Driver72

P Zero Nero M&S's for the LGT's 215/45/17 size. They're not on the Pirelli site Anybody know the weight of the stock craptastic Bridgestone RE92's? ( I think RE92's on the LGT are probably around 22 pounds, but I'm not sure, that's a guess based on another size of the same tire. They don't list the RE92's weight either.) Thanks.

Where did you get those figures? According to the Bridgestone website they don't list the RE92's in the LGT's size. But the 215/50/17's are listed as 23 lbs. Those have a slightly taller sidewall, so I'd think the 215/45/17's would be a bit less, not more. Also, according to the Toyo website the T1-S in our size are 20.1 pounds. I'll have to look at the Falken then if they are that light too. Also where did you find the weight of the Pirelli's? Thanks

Driver, for the road I think it's negledgible with maybe 2-3 pounds difference. Heck, everything I see about Azenis is that they're 24lbs. I got the quotes from the EdgeRacing site as they were the only ones I've seen to measure a Pirelli in that size. So I used them for all 3, it could be slightly off though. Sorry, should have listed my source right up front. The T1-S might be the weight you list, but I said the Proxes 4's. Pirelli's site sucks IMO, can't get much info out of them, at least last time I was there looking for data on the Corsa's which are absent from their site even though they've been out I think at least a year. Jim, I'm running the Proxes 4's on my GT in stock size and slightly higher pressures (39F/37R) and I'm very happy in wet and dry so far. Obviously I have yet to try them in snow, so we'll see, but I asked a few in the rocky mountain region before I got it how it worked with them and they noted you should be able to get home safely. I don't think snow performance will be quite as good as the Conti CEC's I had on my old BD GT, but all other aspects should be FAR above the Conti's. I'd recommend them. We don't get tons of snow here in eastern Wisconsin normally (not close enough for lake effect) and they are effectice at keeping the roads fairly clean so I'm not really worried. I probably will have my mom get Falken Ziex ZE512's on her RS though to replace her Conti's for something more sporty but still respectable snow ability.

[quote name='SUBE555']Driver, for the road I think it's negledgible with maybe 2-3 pounds difference. Heck, everything I see about Azenis is that they're 24lbs. I got the quotes from the EdgeRacing site as they were the only ones I've seen to measure a Pirelli in that size. So I used them for all 3, it could be slightly off though. Sorry, should have listed my source right up front. The T1-S might be the weight you list, but I said the Proxes 4's. Pirelli's site sucks IMO, can't get much info out of them, at least last time I was there looking for data on the Corsa's which are absent from their site even though they've been out I think at least a year. Jim, I'm running the Proxes 4's on my GT in stock size and slightly higher pressures (39F/37R) and I'm very happy in wet and dry so far. Obviously I have yet to try them in snow, so we'll see, but I asked a few in the rocky mountain region before I got it how it worked with them and they noted you should be able to get home safely. I don't think snow performance will be quite as good as the Conti CEC's I had on my old BD GT, but all other aspects should be FAR above the Conti's. I'd recommend them. We don't get tons of snow here in eastern Wisconsin normally (not close enough for lake effect) and they are effectice at keeping the roads fairly clean so I'm not really worried. I probably will have my mom get Falken Ziex ZE512's on her RS though to replace her Conti's for something more sporty but still respectable snow ability.[/quote] SUBE555, Thanks, but 2-3 pounds in the tire will make a pretty substantial difference in handling, steering, and acceleration. It's the rotational mass, and on top of that, the worst kind, since it's as far away from the hub as it gets. 1 pound in the tire is probably equivalent to 2 pounds at the hug of the wheel. So dropping 2.5 pounds in tire weight would probably be equivalent to dropping 5 pounds off per wheel. Dropping weight in the wheel is not only a performance mod, but dropping weight in the tires is even more of a performance mod. And since the RE92's suck, getting better tires is a drastic improvement in all around handling, braking, and performance, as you know. If you can drop a pound or two, or even three in the meantime, you've substantially increased the performance of the car. I like the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S for an excellent all around tire. Plus they are cheap at only $116 per at Tirerack. The Continental ContiExtreme Contact seems like a high rated tire on Tirerack too. They are only $94 each. They may be a good Ultra High Performance All Season as well. I couldn't find their weight either. I like how light the Toyo T1-S's are, but without feedback from owners, I'd be worried about noise, wear, and such. Plus, I'm sure they are pricey.

Sure tire weight is important, but not that important on the street to make a significant difference like it may on a race track. The Falken Azenis is one of the most popular AutoX tires out there, but it's also about as heavy as they get too. Why do people run them, because they work! Now I'm not saying weight should be completely disregarded by any means, just that if you're picking a street tire, 2lbs isn't that big of a deal in daily driving, but for racing it's more crucial. My Toyos have great sidewall strength, are quiet, and stick to the road, wet or dry. If you're looking at a performance tire with good feedback, the Conti CECs are not what you're looking for. They're pretty nice if you encounter snow often, but not for performance driving. Also note, if you want better feedback, I believe a higher load rating like a 91 will incorporate less sidewall flex in general than an 89 or 87 rated tire. Just for reference, the PZero's, Falken 512's and Conti CEC's are an 87, my Proxes are a 91. I AutoXed my Proxes once and I had pressure set at 40/40 and drove over the line part of the time, I had about a finger-width of roll-over, my old Conti's in 205/55-16 would have had about 4X as much as I did. Didn't even get close to the sidewall. And if you think $116 is a good value, I'm sure my lighter Proxes could keep up with the Pirelli and are $88 through EdgeRacing.com. :) Don't know about you, but I've got other places to spend that extra $112.

I'll have to check out that edgeracing website. I'm not an Autocrossers so I'm not too worried about having the firmest sidewall. I'm more of a canyon carver. Living in LA we have dozens of canyons and curvy roads, many of which are the roads many of the car mags use to test the cars on the "public streets" They are fun and often very deserted roads, where at times you can go miles before coming across another car. I want the tire that's going to give me the best balance of grip, handling, low noise, but also work decent in the wet. Though it rarely rains here, I'd still want a tire I can put some faith in when it does. But low weight is important to me too, for straight line speed, and better gas mileage. You said your Proxes are lighter than the PZero's? If that's true I'll check them out too, especially if they are only $88 bucks each.

Hey Sube, I checked out the edgeracing website, but didn't see anywhere they list the weights. The only thing I found was the comment about the Falken Ziex Ze-512 where they said it's also popular because it reduces unsprung weight due to it's lightness. I'd be curious about the actually weight of this tire too. Am I missing a link or button on that site where it lists the weight? Thanks.

Found another site called highperformancetire.com They list the RE92 from the stock Legacy GT size at 23 pounds. They also have the Falkens Ziex and they list at 20 pounds. 3 pounds per tire on the O.D. of the rotational mass would be good for (an educated guess) of two tenths at the strip and make a big difference in high speed accelerating and gas mileage. That Falken may be the tire for me...and it's only $81 bucks each.

It's all about the bang for the buck, I'm not sure the Pirelli is as competitive there as the other two. Toyo I believe has a little more ability, but weighs a hair more than Falken, similar cost. Toyo and Pirelli weigh same (22), but Toyo is a firmer tire and costs far less. You judge.

I have a buddy that works for Discount Tire...I told him about the prices of the Falkens, which they carry, and he said, "don't worry, I'll beat any price you find." I don't think Discount Tire carries Toyo's, I'll ask. I'm sure the Toyos would offer a bit more grip cosidering they are summer tires, whereas the Falkens are Ultra High Performance All Season. But the Falkens apparently one First Place in a tire test done by a magazine. They would cost $81 each plus shipping ($57 bucks "ground") for a total of $381 then I'd have to get them mounted and balanced. So if my buddy can get them to me for under $400 mounted and balanced...I'm all for it. The fact the Falkens are 3 pounds lighter each over stock and 2 pounds lighter than the Toyos is a bonus too. My give up a bit of grip in the dry, but in the rain, I'm sure the Falkens would be superior, and for accleration duties, obviously the lighter Falkens would be prefered there too. I'll look into the Toyos more as well. Thanks again,

And if you get up to any place where there is a bit of snow in the winter, the Falkens would probably do the best. I think three of the tires should be fairly comparable, so it comes down to what you really want and value, but value-wise, the Toyo and Falken seem to be able to beat the Pirelli without a problem. $400 mounted and balanced would sure be a good deal. :)

Archived