LegacyGT.com

i40+pothole=some damage, advice?

Jerboa113

ok rim/tire guys I need some recommendations on what to do here.

so I just got back into augusta from gatlinburg TN. We went up for a week rented a cabin, real nice place, I love it up there, hated to come back.

at any rate.. on the way up I was cruising down I-40 bout 60mph maybe in the rig lane between ashville and the TN line when I spotted a series of filled in potholes, but one of them was missing a chunk.. it was a good 3" deep if I had to guess and as big as a soccer ball. I tried to strattle it, but I did it too late and the edge of my passenger side front rim/tire caught the edge of the pothole and did this to my rim and tire (see attached) now I was up there a week and I've driven 500 miles on this tire since it happened including some mountain roads (takin it easy) and the 300 mile trip home. It has not been leaking any air and it doesn't seem to be riding rough or anything.

I talked to 2 people up in sevierville, 5oaks, who said he didn't think it was a big deal, and walmart.. which said they dont work on low profile tires, and that he would not drive on a damaged sidewall.

So.. now that I'm back in town,I need to determine what I need to do about this. what I beleive is its probablly fine now.. but any sudden trauma could send it over the edge.. AKA its not as strong as it was.. now since its an RE92..I'd like to replace it, but I want to be sure its nessecary.

Any advice yall can give me I'd appreciate. I dont think the rim is bent or the cars out of balance as I have not had any shaking of the wheel, tracking problems, or unusually rough ride.

rim1.jpg.911c4915fa5e15c0fac2e7ada176e16d.jpg

rim2.jpg.99d7c1406b6443e402a7926c6083a81a.jpg

rim3.jpg.81f0d80aa33c4c3ba4a2a6f907cff72a.jpg

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

as far as the wheel goes...that's just a flesh wound

The tire on the other hand.... that's a potential blow out. I'd replace them asap.

Walmart is full of it. LGT Stock wheel/tire is not low profile enough for a standard mounting machine to have a problem. 45 series is not that low profile. 35 and lower is where it starts getting tough. I wouldn't trust my car, or any part of it, to some HS dropout at walmart anyways.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

well, I wasn't seriously considering having walmart do much of anything more than just a recommendation and inspection, there are almost no tire places in sevierville area that works with car tires..

tourist towns I suppose tend to lack "the good stuff" heh and I didnt want to drive an hour away to other towns to find a subaru dealer or anything like that.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

replace asap imo.

for the first time in my life I actually agree with wally world ..... I will not drive on a damaged sidewall either. sidewall is the weakest part of the tire and actually carries the weight of the car.

Depending on how fast and hard you normally drive, you can get the sidewall repaired. Although it's not legal or garaunteed (to hold). At least not in NY.

I had a BFG sidewall patched on my Saab 900T (while in NY) and was charged the same as a tire plug ($15). It lasted me the life of the tire.

If I'd do it again, I'd used the patched tire as a temp, fullsize spare only.

thanks yall, I ordered 4 new toyo proxes 4 yesterday, it should be in sometime this week. I'll be selling the other 3 good potenzas on the forum I think.

Archived