LegacyGT.com

Weird Noise When in 1st or 2nd Gear in Neutral

My car (Legacy 2.5i 2005) has started to make a weird noise when the clutch is depressed and the car is in first or second gear.

After driving the car for a period of time when I pull into my driveway to park the car makes a noise like a power drill trying to drill into brick. It isn't really loud but it is quite noticeable. It seems limited to the car being in neutral inbetween 1st or 2nd.

There is no feedback through the clutch and the drivetrain doesn't shudder etc.

The only thing I can think of is that one of the manifold covers towards the front of the car is loose.

Does anyone have an suggestions on what the problem may be. Apart from the noise the car still seems to drive okay.

Thanks in advance.

Didn't know what a throw out bearing actually was but after reading up about it, it is possible that it could the cause although that doesn't explain why it is most noticeable when you depress the clutch in the lower gears i.e. I would expect a throw out bearing to be able to be heard between all gears. It also seems to be more pronounced when you rev the engine in neutral. (I don't normally do this but was seeing what if anything made the noise worse).

My wife heard it today and is now convinced the car is going to stop working (it doesn't sound good). I am going to book it in soon for a service but I may also put it up on ramps and see if anything is obviously loose.

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out it was the heat shield. It was removed and reinstalled and the noise has now ceased.

I tried a new place for a service and they were okay apart from the fact that they put in half a litre too much engine oil. Now I will need to find a way to get rid of the excess oil.

Any ideas?

Archived