LegacyGT.com

Mysterious popping noise

I worked 14 hours today and its late and I am tired so I need some help figuring this one out. About every 15 seconds I can hear a loud pop come from beneath the hood. It is similar to that of the popping noises when the car has just been turned off and cooling down. In comparrison to the typical pop noise it is magnified Id say 3 times the normal volume. It continues after the car has been turned off.

It never did this before. Only change I have made was adding half a quart of 10W-30 a few days ago.

Well, that is weird. Have you "popped" the hood to narrow down where the noise is coming from? It may be obvious if you can trace it to its source. So it sounds like a cooling contraction tick, but louder?
neil

I did pop, but again Im dead tired so I guaged that it is coming the front, but I didnt really stick my head down there to listen.

And yes, a louder tick. I originally heard it sitting at a stoplight with no windows open.

I worked 14 hours today and its late and I am tired so I need some help figuring this one out. About every 15 seconds I can hear a loud pop come from beneath the hood. It is similar to that of the popping noises when the car has just been turned off and cooling down. In comparrison to the typical pop noise it is magnified Id say 3 times the normal volume. It continues after the car has been turned off.

It never did this before. Only change I have made was adding half a quart of 10W-30 a few days ago.

You have aftermarket exhaust? I have the same condition it's only when I run the car for a little while. I uset to hear it all the time in the winter when I start up the car. Basically it's really nothing to worry about. The noise is caused by air either lack of in or out flow its weird I had subaru look at this a year ago and they had said this do to my exhaust, I dont know if I believe them but my car still runs fine. Mine hasnt done it for a few a week or so but I did hear hit at the red rocks meet.

but now that I think mine isnt like parts coolong more of a weird backfire sound but mufffled and low but I would check the intake area but I cant imagine what it would be. almost like a lose part

its in the exhaust. it happens running & not. its getting warmer out maybe a/c running the car is alot hotter underneath. just look make sure heat shields, stuff like that are good, even bang on the exhaust- something loose inside the exhaust..... dont think i have to say but will-- when cold/cool of course.

but like said before most likly just expand/contract of metal.. & also i see ur in snow areas so maybe patches of salt/no sure whats used there are being burned off

• 4 weeks later...

Archived