LegacyGT.com

Crucial UP & DP Installed!

aksnow7

Well, had a day off from work yesterday so I decided to jump on this project. Now I am not a mechanic and I would've never tried this install without having such a great website to consult. I've done a few simpler mods (intake, HIDs, etc) but nothing like this. Thank you to anyone that has posted a walkthrough or tips on this install, because I used every bit of it! Crucial's instructions were great but having this site helped with the details. It took me about 8 hours from key off to key on. Mostly waiting for the PBblaster to eat through some of the tougher bolts although most came off fairly easily(~4000 miles). I was also by myself for most of it, I had help for about an hour but having another hand throughout would've helped GREATLY, but hell I didn't want to wait for friends/family to get off work :lol:

To the important part... I started it and noticed right away it sounded a little throatier. Immediately checked the dash for a CEL and there was none, resistor mod worked. I walked around the front and sides and couldn't hear anything that sounded like a leak. Reved a little and you can definitely hear the turbo more but still nothing that sounded like an exhaust leak, so I'm feeling pretty happy about that. I will definitely go back and re-torque after a few heatcycles. I let it idle for a bit letting the blaster smoke off, reminded me of an old hot rod with the smell and smoke :lol:

So next was the test drive... I pulled out of the driveway onto my street (which happens to be a closed course racetrack, btw…HA! :icon_tong ). Got on the gas and I could feel the difference immediately, quicker spool up and a lot more up top! Now this is without a tune, my AP hasn't arrived yet so I assume it will only get better. I didn't get to drive for long but I will take it out tonight after work and do a more thorough test.

Overall I'm definitely happy and proud I was able to do this myself. Crucial makes some great pieces that had no issues with fitment. If anyone is having doubts about doing this install, DON'T. Just make sure you have a lot of patience (DON’T RUSH ANYTHING), the right tools, an entire day, PBblaster, and a friend to help. And use the SEARCH!

Congrats!

Enjoy your newfound release! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

...If anyone is having doubts about doing this install, DON'T. Just make sure you have a lot of patience (DON’T RUSH ANYTHING), the right tools, an entire day, PBblaster, and a friend to help. And use the SEARCH!

Well said!

Congratulations, gives a nice feeling of accomplishment doesn't it.

Aye, job well done! Kudos, especially for completing most of the install by yourself. The uppipe is a real challenge to do alone, I know, so ya paid yur dues there. :D Now you get to enjoy more power & hopefully even better milage (so far 1.5 - 2.0 increase for me)! Sweeeeeet!
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Thanks guys.

So I drove it for a bit last night and some this morning and I'm getting skeptical. I hear a slight sputtering when the car is just starting to build boost, but it doesn't seem to last long. I have not gone through and retorqued but I should have some time tonight to go through and re-check everything. I don't smell anything inside the car or through the vents if that means anything? I also don't have a boost gauge so I can't say if its building full boost but it seems to pull pretty nicely now.

I hear a slight sputtering when the car is just starting to build boost, but it doesn't seem to last long.

is it a stuttering hissing noise? if so it could just be wastegate flutter.

i thought i was leaking boost or something the first time i heard it (having never owned a turbo car previously) but the "read live boost" function on the AP (and now boost gauge) help me make sure i am pushing the proper PSI

so in short if you have a gauge handy slap it on or wait for the ap to make sure you are leaking before you go wrenching again (if it was an inconvenience) otherwise enjoy the extra power :)

Yeah now that I think about it, it is a fluttering sound. Would the hiss be pretty loud and noticable? I had someone rev for me while I ran around and listened to every possible angle and couldn't hear anything out of the norm. The car is definitely louder. I think I'm just looking for something to go wrong. :lol:

AP should be here soon so i'll check the boost for sure. What should I be running at with an UP & DP swap?

17 psi

get yourself a boost gauge. you need one

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Just remember - reaching and holding "target-boost" is *_not_* a sure-fire determination that you have no pre-turbo leak.

Sizeable pre-turbo (i.e. manifold-to-UP or UP-to-turbo) leaks can still allow your vehicle to reach even "Stage II" boost levels.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Alright, appreciate the heads up! It will be only one of the several tests I do. To be honest I'm probably just being paranoid, but I like to be thorough.

Thanks guys!

Yeah now that I think about it, it is a fluttering sound. Would the hiss be pretty loud and noticable?

it definitely would be loud and noticeable. and only under load while building boost as you describe

RE: your CEL fix....

Note that these often don't occure right away. In fact on my car they only happen after a LONG (I mean a full 350 mile tank of gas) hiway drive. THEN I fill up and hit the road a short while later and put on the Cruise Control and _only_ then does the CEL happen. Every time. Takes about 5 days to clear itself and all is right with the world again. I've messed with the number of "anti-fouler" spacers to no avail.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but rather to let you know that the CEL part is a whole tricky matter with no specific cure (short of a AccessPORT) and that it is different for EVERY car in every climate.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but rather to let you know that the CEL part is a whole tricky matter with no specific cure (short of a AccessPORT) and that it is different for EVERY car in every climate.

Very well said.

To-date, the only known way to truly and honestly prevent the two rear-O2 related CELs from popping up is via aftermarket engine-management reflashes that specifically addresses them.

The "hard" fixes will vary, VEHICLE-to-INDIVIDUAL/UNIQUE VEHICLE, in whether or not they will truly effect a fix, and for how long such a fix will last.

This has been proven time and again on these Forums. :)

Archived