LegacyGT.com

Wagon Roof Rack Flimsy?

Salty

I have Yakima crossbars on my Outback and have no problem with large quantities of lumber. If you got the optional MontBlanc racks on the Legacy, they are pretty flimsy. The factory crossbars on my Outback are pretty decent, but I took them off in favor of the Yakima bars. Craig

I'm glad you mentioned that. Thinking about the "flex" that you mention in the stock cross bars makes me think that I'll not order the cross bars and will instead get something from Yakima or Thule. That and the fact tjat the cross bars produce so much wind noise that I wouldn't keep them attached to the car unless I was using them to carry something. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Speaking of rack noise, I got a wicked loud howling noise from my Yakima crossbars on my new OB XT. Did not have ths problem on my 02 Outback, but have experienced it on other cars. Basically, the cylindrical bars shed a periodic vortex pattern causing vibration and noise. Fortunately, the fix is simple: spiral wrap some rope or bungie around the bars like this: [img]http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/wrap.jpg[/img] In addition to alleviating the noise, it reduces the crossbar drag too. I have since replaced the rope with black bungie cord (bought from a kayak shop) and it looks good. In some cases, you only need to wrap one crossbar, but I did both just to be safe. Craig

Archived