LegacyGT.com

Yikes .... I NEED A BIT OF HELP -- a few Q's re possible 2.5i Legacy purchase

Leighow

Should I Buy a 2.5i Sedan

Subaru – Great Balanced Drive: Our last 2 cars have been Honda Civics’. They are totally reliable. The 1st clocked 340,000 kms the 2nd now has 340,000 and the wife wants something new. So, I have test driven the Cadillac CTS , the Jetta , and the Passat. I love their flat exit-off freeways. I love the TSX’s power. But only the Subaru 2.5i felt flat AND balanced. The 2.5i is quiet and strong like the CTS at low speed. At high speed the 4AET seems to respond well if dropped to 3rd gear. This entry car costs $Can 24,000 in the USA and $ Can 28,000 in Canada. Not cheap.

Performance tires: I have to laugh. The sales literature describes all of the wonders of the car. However, it is my opinion that on close, it is the 205/50R 17 tires that define the ca. I do not really appreciate their kick over pavement cracks – but when the highway is smooth and twisty, the car is a dream to drive. OEM tires list for $Can 440 each.

Q #1: Would it be fair to say, “Get used to these 20/50R17’s – because that’s life in a Subaru’s “family” Legacy!

Replacement Summer and Winter Tires: As far as I can determine in Canada (and I am excluding the Tire Rack option) my tire options are:

Summer: Michelin Pilot Sports - $Can 289 each

BF Goodrich G Force KVLX - $229

Toyo T1R - $258

Falken FK452 - $191

Winter: Toyo GEO2 - $170 …. to be fitted to 205/65R16 Metal Rims -$60

Q#2: What summer and winter tires do you recommend for “family driving”?

Q#3: What mileage should I expect to get out of summer and winter tires with “tame” driving?

Q#4: We ride about 5 miles of loose gravel roads most summer weekends. This involves 1/2” – 2 stones plus occasional poor grading. Would you expect the low rubber to invite damage to the alloy wheels?

Braking in Summer and Winter: Some Canadian reviews suggest that it takes a long time to stop the 2.5i – especially in winter. Last week, I found that I had to really sit on the brakes (full force) to engage the ABS that triggered a “screeching” stop. Note that I have not had an accident in 50 years of driving.

Q#5: Would my 5’2” … “petite” wife be able to brake this car in tight situations?

Q#6: What’s been your stopping experience in winter?

Reliability: I will not detail the wide range of concerns that are detailed on the web re Subie reliability, What I will say is that regardless of their maintenance experiences – the six-odd Subaru owners that I have talked to love their cars.

Q#7: What do you think the secret to hi-Subie-reliability is?

Driving Position: While I am only about 5’ 9” (been shrinking lately!) I find that once I have a comfortable arm position at the wheel, my feet seem a tad tight near the pedals and left (in America) footrest. Otherwise I love the cockpit.

Q#8: Anyone feel this way?

Q9: Any other thoughts?

:) Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen and Regards from the Great White North:)

I'll answer what I can.

A#5--Braking could be better. The force required is higher than many cars, but it's not "Manly" force. A small woman could certainly muster it up.

A#6--Winter braking is entirely a function of the "All-season" stock tires. In Canada, I believe you are required to drive certified tires in winter. That will take care of it

A#7--Good engineering and materials. In addition a Boxer engine has good primary and secondary balance, so the bearings are under much less stress than a I or V format. The flat cylinders also allow for faster and better lubrication upon startup, helping the valve train longevity.

A#8--Yes. It took me about a year to find the perfect compromise position, including seat base. Now I am fine, even long trips, but I agree it could be better. A telescoping steering column would fix this easily. (I'm 5'8" myself).

2 years and 45,000 miles later I do not regret buying the car, I'm hoping to get another 150,000 miles out of it. I guess tha'ts the best endorsement I can give. Usually I buy a car, and after the honeymoon, start looking at other cars longingly. Not so this time.

P.

THANKS a MILLION PAUL

You thoughts are honest and most helpful.

I should have mentionned that my wife is tired of my car search as I have been at it for a couple of years! Of course we have spent any delay-of-car-purchase savings !

I mentioned that we have been thru 2 Civics (4 Big Three cars too), so now I'd like to move up to a heavier, and somewhat safer car that better suit today's traffic.

I love the e-seat in the 2006 Legacy . A bit of telescoping would help. As a matter of interest, while the Jetta's wheel telescopes, its tilt did not go low enough for me. Consequently, as I'd telescope, I'd have to raise the seat and I would end up riding too high in a car with a fifle-slot windshield.

If I could get 200,000 mi (320,000 kms) out of a Legacy over 8 years with only one of two $1000 maintenance visits -- I'd be quite happy!

Paul, thanks for sharing your time and experience.

Howie

Except for (reasonable) regular maintenance at my dealer's, I've spent nothing on my '05 2.5i wagon save for gasoline. It is a nice size, feeling large and comfortable, while still being almost as nimble as my wife's WRX.

The '06 has a more adjustable power seat than my '05's manual, that should help. I found that having the seat base tilted to provide more thigh support was the answer to the pedals and dead pedal being just a little too close. This accomodates your legs being more bent.

P.

Archived