LegacyGT.com

I just got a '05 Legacy, and I know it's supposed to take 91 Octane. But most of the Gas Stations around me only seem to have 89 or 93... I'm not so hot on paying the extra for 93, is it cool to run the car with 89?

Use the 93, or use the 89 and spend all the money you save on gas to fix things...:lol:

He's right. However my '96 LGT required 91 and I always used 89 and never had a problem. But then it was not a turbo.

...glad Subaru solved that problem quickly so I can now use 87 in the '99. Got some 89 for the hell of today. Felt nice.

well if you use 89 when 91 is required, you will get "pinging." Bastically the fuel combusts before the spark, and while it will take a long time to actually WRECK the motor, its not good for it and your basic performance will suffer. Yes, you can drive the car on 89, but please, dont. It's not a diesel, and it needs a spark to generate combustion, so buy at least 91. Mixing will not "average" out to 91 fyi.

Depends how you drive. If you rarely get into boost, you'll probably be OK with 89. If you drive like you thought you would when you bought the car (why did you buy the GT anyway?), you'll need 93. Frankly, it's probably about $2.00 difference per fill-up. You'll lose that much money easily if there's a problem with the car, and it's caused by 89, 'cuz Subaru (appropriately) probably won't pay for the damage.

Archived