LegacyGT.com

4EAT question

Hi all. 2006 2.5i automatic here. Car is three months old. Having a few problems, one of them, not sure if its a PROBLEM or a characteristic.

When coming to a stop, or my favorite, a rolling stop, the car does NOT downshift to first. It downshifts to first upon pressing the gas to start going again. It only downshifts to first when at a COMPLETE stop. When I mean rolling stop, I mean like 2mph. Shouldn't it downshift?

Is it bad or hard on it to downshift to first when you are actually increasing speed? It almost seem like it "catches" after the fact. Should I just learn to come to a complete stop, haha? Don't always need to....

I also notice that when going from R to D, you have to come to a complete stop as always, but then wait for a second or two, before you press the gas. If you go from any gear to another, and don't wait, the car seems like its in neutral for a second, then it "catches".

Thanks!

Id say it does this to be smooth. But I wouldnt really know since my 4EAT was rough for performance purposes. Subaru then changed it to what you have now....so theres prolly someone who can answer this better.

hmm, mine does not shift to 1st unless i come to a complete stop, but if i press harder on the gas it will shift it.

for the second problem, i did not experience it. if i just tap the gas as soon as the lever got in D i could hear the rear tires chirp.

Yes, mine shifts to 1st upon hitting the gas too. In my other cars though, the car would have already been in 1st from when I slowed down. I guess these 4EAT's are different.

Glad mine isn't the only one.

Thanks!

I'M CURIOUS

I am not an owner -- only a test driver and I admit that I did not notice this during my test drives.

I wonder if this is related to the gear-by-gear Sport Shift lmechanical logic that I seem to recall drops to 1st on its own -- BUT-- only when you stop the car.

Does this condition repeat in the "auto" Sport shift setting too?

HOWIE

Hi all. 2006 2.5i automatic here. Car is three months old. Having a few problems, one of them, not sure if its a PROBLEM or a characteristic.

When coming to a stop, or my favorite, a rolling stop, the car does NOT downshift to first. It downshifts to first upon pressing the gas to start going again. It only downshifts to first when at a COMPLETE stop. When I mean rolling stop, I mean like 2mph. Shouldn't it downshift?

Is it bad or hard on it to downshift to first when you are actually increasing speed? It almost seem like it "catches" after the fact. Should I just learn to come to a complete stop, haha? Don't always need to....

I also notice that when going from R to D, you have to come to a complete stop as always, but then wait for a second or two, before you press the gas. If you go from any gear to another, and don't wait, the car seems like its in neutral for a second, then it "catches".

Thanks!

Put your car in the manual mode. Watch the gear indicator in the dash. See when it incicates the car is going into first when coming to a stop. On mine, in the manual mode, when coming to a stop, even if I do not pull the shifter back to put it into first manually, the car will shift itself into first. This occurs (on mine) at two or three mph before I've come to a complete stop. Similar to the situation with your rolling stop.

Do you guys downshift when you're stopping or do you let the car shift itself? i normally don't downshift to 1st gear but let the car do it itself, but do you guys downshift like say... 3rd to 2nd when you're stopping at a light or stopsign?

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Put your car in the manual mode. Watch the gear indicator in the dash. See when it incicates the car is going into first when coming to a stop. On mine, in the manual mode, when coming to a stop, even if I do not pull the shifter back to put it into first manually, the car will shift itself into first. This occurs (on mine) at two or three mph before I've come to a complete stop. Similar to the situation with your rolling stop.

mine does the same thing.

Archived