LegacyGT.com

Exhaust gasses - "side" preference?

TSiWRX

Hi everyone,

Just a couple of days ago, I put the finishing touches on my exhaust setup. :icon_bigg

To a pair of Blitz Nur-Spec Touring canisters (thanks yet again to brother Bluesmaster for an awesome deal on these), I've paired a custom 3" mid-section with Magnaflow resonator and a Lachute Y (these parts thanks to Peter at PLTek).

I've retained the stock third/last cat "mid-pipe" section.

Upstream from this is a Crucial shorty DP.

Now, I've seen a lot of video-clips of various LGTs on dynos - and most with aftermarket piping seem to preferentially duct spent gasses out of the shorter driver's side tail-pipe.

This goes so far as to be represented by a more recent video-clip that a fellow LGT brother shared on these Forums, in which a much larger (and longer duration) fireball exited the driver's side tail-pipe. :icon_twis

Similar to these sightings, with my palm open, placed at the end of my tail-pipes, I can feel that the driver's-side exit seems to bump out a harder "beat" of spent gasses than the passenger's side.

But what's now baffling me is that I also observe the gasses on the passenger's side to be markedly hotter/warmer than what's exiting the driver's side. :iam:

This observation carries through to tail-pipe vapor sightings, which, thanks to local conditions here, I was able to easily visualize yesterday AM. Again, while the driver's side seemed to put out a stronger pulse of spent gasses, it literally wasn't "smoking" at all - and meanwhile, the passenger's side pipe was just bellowing away.

:confused:

Any explaination/ideas on this one, guys and gals?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Slower moving gases on the passenger side have more time to heat up the metal. The faster exhaust gasses on the driver's side exit the pipe system quicker, so they do not impart as much heat to the piping. Plus, the stonger pulses will help scavenge better creating a larger turbulent boundary layer on the driver side. Again, less heat transfer to the pipe. Check the temp right after start up and I would expect them to be roughly equal...

Ted

:spin:

Ted:

That makes perfect sense, bro. :) I thought that was what it was, based on my "Physics for Poets" background. I'm glad that someone with so much more knowledge in this area didn't make me think of myself as a total ass - and moreso that my education dollars weren't ill-spent ! :lol:

---

j255c and elxkid -

Agreed, it looks cool and sophisticated, and it adds to the correct "image" that Subaru was obviously shooting for with this vehicle.

However, despite the weight trade-off, we should also remember that there are distinct benefits to the flow-versus-noise ratio with a dual-canister setup - if "quiet-power" is sought after. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

This goes so far as to be represented by a more recent video-clip that a fellow LGT brother shared on these Forums, in which a much larger (and longer duration) fireball exited the driver's side tail-pipe. :icon_twis

link to the vid?

Archived