LegacyGT.com

Air filtration filter

So I've been looking into stuffing an air filtration filter into my car. The tree pollen is so bad at work, my car looks yellow within 3 hours. My car didn't come with one so I looked into the retrofit kit. It still looks like a hack job some kid did with a dremel tool. I didn't want to pull the entire dash apart so I pulled out the manual tray to see how much of the filter tray was exposed. Well there's already a filter in there. So the big question is, how the hell did the filter get in there? It wasn't on the sticker when I bought the car. It's not within the VIN range of the cars that should have the hacked up glove box. It's only been to the dealer once for 30K service, but no filter was listed on the work order.

I believe the baseline LGT has the air filter in it. If I'm not mistaken... a small number of cars had an old design that made it very difficult to replace the filter. The TSB makes it slightly easier to replace the air filter, but all cars should still have a filter as delivered from the factory.

If your car is not listed in the VIN for the TSB, then you should have a filter already in it.

BTW, I bought an OEM Subaru filter before I removed the old one... Oh, I am sooooo ANGRY. Do NOT buy a replacement OEM filter. I can not believe that Subaru sells a $1 piece of paper for MSRP $45. It's not that easy to replace so my guess is that most owners have the dealer install it and never see it. They probably don't realize what a joke it is.

I bet that I can cut up a 3M filtrete furnace filter and come up with a better filter than the OEM.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I believe the baseline LGT has the air filter in it. If I'm not mistaken... a small number of cars had an old design that made it very difficult to replace the filter. The TSB makes it slightly easier to replace the air filter, but all cars should still have a filter as delivered from the factory.

If your car is not listed in the VIN for the TSB, then you should have a filter already in it.

BTW, I bought an OEM Subaru filter before I removed the old one... Oh, I am sooooo ANGRY. Do NOT buy a replacement OEM filter. I can not believe that Subaru sells a $1 piece of paper for MSRP $45. It's not that easy to replace so my guess is that most owners have the dealer install it and never see it. They probably don't realize what a joke it is.

I bet that I can cut up a 3M filtrete furnace filter and come up with a better filter than the OEM.

That's exactly what I did. And the install is kind of a bitch.

Archived