LegacyGT.com

UK Autocar Review

From the Australian Subaru site: [i]Liberty praised in Autocar road test The new generation Subaru Liberty wagon has been awarded a four star rating in a road test published in the latest edition of UK magazine Autocar. Testing a 2.5-litre version of the Liberty, known as Legacy in the UK, Autocar said: "Traction, as you’d expect, is superb - so good, in fact, that it can make a mockery of the power output at times…." It adds: "The big surprise is how Subaru has really ramped up the interior quality and design. The plastics, moulded dash and laser-tight shutlines are impressive, but it’s the details that really stand out. All the controls are logical and well finished and the stereo sounds and looks good." Autocar concludes: "With the new Legacy, Subaru has built a credible alternative to the established prestige brands. Apart from a few niggling issues with the ride, it’s not only involving to drive, but pleasant to be driven in, too. And we suspect it’ll be good to own too." The Autocar verdict: "The Legacy goes upmarket at last." The full road test can be seen in the 3 February edition of Autocar or see [url]http://www.autocarmag.com/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT_ID=206596[/url][/i]

So, that car must be the equivalent of our 2.5i Limited. I suspect that the raves about the standard level of equipment, things that would be options on higher-priced competitors, is going to be echoed in the U.S. reviews, as well. Kevin

[quote name='racerdave']But I know I'm really interested to hear how the 2.5 GT handles. If it feels like a bigger WRX, that's a good thing. :)[/quote] Notice the one criticism in the excerpt "niggling issues with the ride", makes me worry that our car will have a softer suspension set-up. Not that it's something that can't be fixed but lets hope Subaru doesn't take the conservative approach and Americanize the car.

I wonder if "niggling issues with the ride" mean too firm for their liking. Don't forget that the Brits have crappy roads, just like we do. 17s are stock, and they probably got the middling-firm Bilsteins. Subaru's suspension tuning for Europe has always been on the firm side. I don't think we'll have to fret about Americanization for the first model year. After that, I'm thinking that all bets are off. :lol: I'm guessing that the Legacy will feel better than the WRX. It will have a quicker steering rack, stock 17s and aluminum arms. It should be nice and tight. Interestingly, Paul Hansen said that tuning-wise, Subaru could get away with using a softer spring, because of the car's lightness. IIRC, his admonition was with the Legacy, rock-hard isn't always best. Kevin

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='racerdave']But I know I'm really interested to hear how the 2.5 GT handles. If it feels like a bigger WRX, that's a good thing. :)[/quote] Notice the one criticism in the excerpt "niggling issues with the ride", makes me worry that our car will have a softer suspension set-up. Not that it's something that can't be fixed but lets hope Subaru doesn't take the conservative approach and Americanize the car.[/quote] Hey Gumby, here's the pertinent quote from the full review: <<Across country the ride is a good balance between control and suppleness, but around town it stumbles slightly, fidgeting and thumping over ridges and potholes. It’s not a major defect, rather a scource of minor irritation when the road surface is poor, and may be due to the low-profile tyres. We couldn’t fault the brakes: they hauled the Legacy up from 60mph in 2.9sec.>> Kevin

Archived