LegacyGT.com

Legacy Clutch Pedal

Hi Guys, I have test driven two demo 2.5L normally aspirated manual MY04 Liberty's/Legacy's and now own an MY05 version. In all of these cars, if I change gear above 3000rpm, I can feel significant vibration in the clutch pedal through the sole of my shoe. This is different to shudder - it is a vibration that can be felt in the pedal as I push down on the clutch pedal and then again when I lift off, and is sort of a buzzing feeling. There is no audiable noise. It is not there when the pedal has fully travlled toward the floor (that is when the clutch is fully disengaged). I have asked Subaru to look into this since I would like to eliminate or at least reduce it. Some car manufacturers use a device called a hydraulic damper in the clutch line to eliminate the vibration in the pedal. As for the source of the vibration, I think it is either generated in the exhaust or generated by uneven fingers on the clutch assembly diagphram plate. Has anyone else noticed this or is aware of a remedy? My dealer has acknowledged it's presence and is looking into it. Thanks, Shane - Australia.

No it's not the classic clutch shudder problem (I had that in my '98 Forester and am familiar with it). It isn't temperature related. The pedal has a buzzing feeling on push-down and lift-off (clutch disengaging and enganging). Once fully disengaged, the pedal feels fine. This vibration is only felt in the pedal and only when the engine is revving above 3000rpm. Shane.

Hey Shane Welcome to the Forum. Im in Melbourne and have taken a few out on demo runs and havent experienced the same sensation that you have. Very interesting though. I have a friend that has a 2.5 so I will ask and see that the feedback is. Be interested to see what Subaru also comes back with. Where in Oz ru Shane, Im in Melbourne. Adam.

Adam - I'm in Adelaide. I've driven 3 of these including my own and they all do it. It's obvious and I couldn't believe that if someone owned one they weren't aware of it unless they wore very thick soles. Honda use a device in the clutch fluid line called a hydraulic damper (not dampener - that involves water). This damps engine vibration which is carried back up to the pedal by the clutch fluid. Subaru do not fit one and in this case on is needed. The part initially realeased by Honda was offered as a kit for onwers to retrofit. I hope Subaru can do the same but either way I WILL be fixing it. Then the car shall be perfect (well in my eyes anyway). Waiting to hear back from Subaru at the moment. The dealer meachnics agree that the vibration is present. The more people involved the better too ! It's the only thing I've found wrong with the car! It's bloody brilliant and love owning - it's just this last 5% that needs fixing. Shane (2.5 Liberty NA 355kms so far and 400ml of oil).

Hmm sounds very odd but like the idea of the Honda system. I had a CRX which I loved driving but that clutch pedal drove me mad as it would stick just on the point of clutch impact. You dont want to know how much Honda wanted to charge me to fix it........ ahh lets just say I stuck it out.. Hope u can come to some sort of resolution and glad to hear yr enjoying yr ride. GO PORT !!!! Adam.

I don't ride the clutch but notice it each time I change gear - and I don't think that's done in any unusual way. I think I'm a bit more tuned it to these things than most. I just wish I had the Accord Euro (Acura in the US?) clutch setup. Nicest I have ever used (yes it was a tough choice). I think the clutch vibration is obvious and takes a lot of the shine off of the car. Maybe I need to do more kilometres (miles for those still not using the metric system!).

OK Looks like I have figured out what the cause is. The American Legacy's have a device called a hydraulic damper integrated into their Clutch Master Cylinders. The purpose of this device is to absorb vibration and make the clutch pedal feel nice and smooth to use. I found this on page CL-5 of the Liberty Terdown Manual of file MSA5T0505A54032.pdf This damper is obvious to the eye when looking at the Clutch Master Cylinder - it appears as a disc on the underneath of the cylinder. Well, the Australian version - the Liberty - DOES NOT HAVE ONE!!!!!!!! :o No wonder my clutch pedal vibrates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, can someone do me a favour pretty please. Can you please please please find out the United States Subaru part number of the Clutch Master Cylinder for a 2.5L Normally Aspirated Legacy so that I might be able to import one and fit it to my car. Hope someone can help! :D Cheers, Shane.

Well I've since found out that only the Turbo Liberty's and Legacys have the damper so there are a lot of people out there happy with their non-turbo clutch pedals - Bizarre. The 3.0 litre versions have the damper fitted too. Hell - I can't beleive you're all happy with this :o :!:

Minor? Everytime I change gear is not minor! Especially for a new car. No wonder cars suffer from symptoms like this. People like trumpy are quite happy with them!!! Trumpy or the egg- trumpy was first. Cars were then built to "people like trumpy" standards. :roll: You belong in a ford or holden mate. Better yet - a mitsubishi...

Only a true blue ozzie would want "character" in their cars - marketing slang for "this doesn't quite work as we intended". I'm sure you loved your Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. Yes I have driven the best Holden and Ford have to offer too. Would have bought a Honda if my Australian sized rear end could fit into the Japanese seat.

Archived