LegacyGT.com

Hearing a weird noise from my LGT

A couple of weeks ago I hit a pretty large puddle of water on the highway. It actually splashed over the hod unto the windshield. It also soaked the brakes and they felt funny for a couple of presses of the brake pedal. I have an 05 Legacy GT with the auto tranny. The problem I am having is that I started to hear a noise coming from the right front of the car. The noise seems to get louder around 65 MPH and sounds like one of those fart can muffler's exhaust note but the sound isn't very loud. I can't hear it if I turn the radio up, that is probably why I hadn't noticed it before. I start to notice it at speeds over 40 MPH. I turned the wheel to inspect around it and see if anything was rubbing and all appears to be normal with no rips in the boot or anything obvious. Any ideas of what it could be? My next step is to take it to the dealer if I can't figure out what is making the noise.

Sounds like a another bad case of water in/on the intercooler,,,luckily no soap.

just kidding couldn't resist

I did check the tire for nails, rocks, etc. The noise is hard to descrive. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but it isn't that loud, I can easily drown it out with the radio set around 9 or 10 in volume. The closest I can come to descrive it is the sound I hear from people who's Honda Civics have too big of a muffler, what some would call the "fart" can sound. The car seems to operate normal other than the sound. If it is water in the intercooler, should I be worried? Should I just go to the dealership right away and see if they can get to it? I need the car for a relatively long trip this weekend. A couple of hours each way. Is there any risk driving it this way if I take it easy?

You guys are bastards. avengador1, forget about the intercooler thing. They're just ****** with you
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

What do these rattles sound like? Like a vibration at certain engine revs? Or more like a loose coin ratling around there?

I have some kind of noise that only occurs at around 3k rpm and also is a high frequency vibrating sound. I'm not sure if its the dash or the actual sound of the engine. It isn't loud at all.

I'm leaning towards the problem being a wheel bearing myself. I will be taking the car to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at it. My car is completely stock because it is a company lease vehicle. I also have the dash vibration noise but this noise is not as noticeable as that. It is a low hum or purr that starts around 45 MPH and gets a little louder the faster I go. I seems to be at it's loudest around 65 MPH. Hopefully the dealer will find out the cause and fix it.

Here is a final update. I took the car to the dealer and explained the noise to them. They had the car for most of the day and told me what the problem was when I picked it up. They told me they had a technical service bulletin for the fuel lines. It seems that they can shift in some cars and cause the humming noise I was hearing. They told me they relocated them or something like that. Whatever they did, the noise seems to be gone now.:D

Archived