LegacyGT.com

How to hardwire or use the cig lighter

systimax

Hello, I have 3 devices I need to power.

Ipod Sirius and Phone.

For the phone and the ipod I coud get a power adapter spliter from radio shack and use the arm rest cubby poweradapter

However I still want to save room in the armrest cubby

So i got the cig lighter sitting in front of the auto shifter unused.

Since I want to hide the cables does anyone know how to tap into that from behind the adapter

I dont care if it never works as I dont smoke. And dont want to plug something in the front of it because it looks bad.

thanks

radio shack sells a kit that can be hardwired behind the cig lighter.. i have my sirius sat powered from there and i use the armrest area for the cell phone and ipod power

Got Torque ?

i caqnt find it on there website...but if you go into the store you'll see them

DFSA, do you know what wire is the stereo's accessory power lead? I have a 2005 Lagacy hatchback

Mudfoot,do you know the radio shack part number on model name by any chance?

thanks both

Got Torque ?

No, that won't work.

I just cut off the cigarette lighter portion of the Starmate cord and spliced into the wires under the arm rest console that lead to the lighter

Yes the item you found would work... but they sell another one that doesnt have the plastic trim around it... just take a trip to your local radio shack... you;ll see what im taking about... i used electrical take around the plug & adapter to make sure it would come loose while its under the readio area... becase the plug in put in didnt sit in there good enough.. so the tape does the job

Got Torque ?

• 1 year later...

how did this work for you? i want to wire up my gps to back of the cig lighter. Can i just splice into the cig lighter? my gps came with a mini usb thing like on cameras that goes into the front of the lighter. can i just cut the lighter end off and splice into the back? what kind of wires will be exposed if i cut the lighter off just a pos and neg? sorry for the dumb questions just dont want to screw ne thing up. thanks!

oh and i plan on running it up the back to come out the vents by the cubby hole.

This is what I did when I installed my XM... I coupled the power inline with the cigarette power... If you drop the power behind the console and tap it inline you won't use up your cigarette addapter plug and it will look a lot cleaner...

CIMG3617.thumb.jpg.40dae21652ef7c361f9759cf26471927.jpg

Just be sure the voltage the unit uses is 12V. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived