LegacyGT.com

For those who have installed 2din...

bhogan414

I am trying to get my double din nav unit in the cubby spot, but I can't seem to get it in all the way. That big metal bar in the back is blocking it. I have seen a few people that have gotten theirs in there all the way, but I just can't get it to fit. What did you guys do to get it back in there?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think they hacked that part out- wait for someone to confirm my thought before you get out the hacksaw.

Go up and over the cross beam. You won't have the depth if you try and keep the face of the HU at the same angle as the bezel and vents. By placing my HU on top of the beam and doing a little extra plastic trimming, there was plenty of clearence to push it all the way back w/o the screen protruding past the oem bezel.
ignore him, he'll go away.

I thought about trimming the plastic back there, but it all looked like vents for the a/c, so I didn't want to hack into them and have all of the air blow out behind the stereo.

I think they hacked that part out- wait for someone to confirm my thought before you get out the hacksaw.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but as I have no idea what it is or does, hopefully someone can confirm this.

Some double dins will fit, some won't. I tired like hell to fit a Pioneer Avic-Z1 in there and there is no way to "easily" get that to fit in all the way. Like fweasel mentioned, you can try to fit it over the metal bar, but I found that my HU did not rest in there very well that way (it seems that the plastic tray was just meant to cradle the radio a certain way). I would not recommend hacking away at that metal beam. It's built that way for a reason and introducing a situation that may result in metal fatigue, may not be a good idea.

Some double dins will fit, some won't. I tired like hell to fit a Pioneer Avic-Z1 in there and there is no way to "easily" get that to fit in all the way. Like fweasel mentioned, you can try to fit it over the metal bar, but I found that my HU did not rest in there very well that way (it seems that the plastic tray was just meant to cradle the radio a certain way). I would not recommend hacking away at that metal beam. It's built that way for a reason and introducing a situation that may result in metal fatigue, may not be a good idea.

The Pioneer should fit based on the fact that my Kenwood is fractionally deeper according to the manual specs and I still have room to spare. I sent mine up and over the beam and cut away the unnecessary plastic to allow the extra depth.

What did you finally end up doing? I am looking at other possibilities now, such as using bondo to mould the bezel around the protrusion so it just sticks out, but at least looks decent.

The Pioneer should fit based on the fact that my Kenwood is fractionally deeper according to the manual specs and I still have room to spare. I sent mine up and over the beam and cut away the unnecessary plastic to allow the extra depth.

Could you clarify what you cut? Here is a pic of what I am looking at. I have cut away all of the plastic from the front, and am hesiatant to cut back farther because of the A/C issue I mentioned earlier.

DSC00836.jpg.04208135da63ddaf63bc767052d025e5.jpg

Could you clarify what you cut? Here is a pic of what I am looking at. I have cut away all of the plastic from the front, and am hesiatant to cut back farther because of the A/C issue I mentioned earlier.

I did not cut anything myself. I had a shop that has done custom audio work for me in the past do the entire install. I have had the HU out several times to connect an iPod adpater and install the navagation wiring.

What I believe was cut I have maked in red. The ductwork in the back was not cut or reworked at all. The side ducts mounted to the bezel and not the ones actually marked (in blue) were notched at the lower inside corners to allow clearance for the custom mounting bracket. The inverted 90* shape was reformed with plastic. This let the vents slide over the mounting points.

http://www.photodump.org/stored5/stockplastic.jpg

Archived