LegacyGT.com

electrical help

niskyne

I have a few electrical questions, so I figure I'd ask all of them in the same post to save space.

1. If you tap into the maplight power wire like in thise thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4335 , when I shut the car off is there still power running to the wire? When the car is off I can still turn the lights on, so that would lead me to believe that tehre is still power, but I just want to make sure in case I am mistaken. The reason I ask is because I watn to use this route to power an add-on, but I don't want it to be drawing current and draining the battery when the car is off.

2. In the dash fuse panel, #2 and #15 fuses are missing. I looked in the list and it doesn't say what these two fuses are for. Is there power running to these so I can tap into to feed some accessories? If so, when I shut the car off is there still power running to these?

3. I have a sedan, so I don't have rear wipers. But there is still a fuse inside slot #23 which on the list it says it is for the rear wiper motor. Is tehre still power going through this fuse, and if so to what? If I shutt eh car off, is there still power?

4. Is there a thread that shows the easiest/best grounding points inside of the dash? In the engine compartment? I searched but couldn't find anything.

5. Are there any problems with attaching several different ground wires to the same ground screw?

6. Above the rear-view mirror, what are those black raised dots for. They line the top middle of the windshield. And is it ok to stick velcro on them to attach something to the top of the windshield?

Sorry for some of the questions that may seem stupid. I just want to make sure of things before I mess with the car and potentially mess something up.

Thanks for any help. Very much appreciated.

get a 12 volt circuit tester, looks like a clear screwdriver w/light in it, has a wire w/clamp on it, use supplied instructions #1 check to find a switched circuit, #2 check to see if power to one side, #3 again check for power (switched?) also why would there be a fuse in it with no wipers? get a wiring diagram, #4 now you need a VOM (volt-ohm meter) to check grd., use major attach points to metal, braces ect, clean surface to bare metal, #5 make sure you have a GOOD grd. and proper wire/stud size then a few is fine, #6 to block glare from sun, i wouldn't they seem like some kind of rubber has been applied to glass, a VOM can do all the above tests just that a circuit tester works well in simple car checks, switched/unswitched circuits, power, ect.,i don't know what your adding but be careful of overloading electrical system, if your adding big amp draw stuff it would be good idea to use a aux. fuse panel, when in doubt pay a pro to do it you'll be money ahead,bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

also a fuse panel will have power all the time, unswitched, the ing. switch does the switching for switched circuits, if your amp draw to accessories is to high you need a relay cause your ing. switch can't handle the amp draw, you need to call an installer, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

#3 again check for power (switched?) also why would there be a fuse in it with no wipers? get a wiring diagram

In the manual it says fuse 23 is for the rear wiper and the rear window washer, and there is indeed a fuse in that slot. :confused:

scrape to bare metal, check with VOM, should be O ohms, then ok, use a crimp on lug on grd.wires, crimp then solder for best connection, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived