LegacyGT.com

El Cheapo boost and voltmeter gauges installed

OCDetails

OCD - Are there any other members around you with a mechanical boost-gauge setup?

It should be relatively easy to simply pop out your gauge, take it over to them, and have them temporarily hook up a hose to their vac/boost source, and see if your gauge is reading appropriately.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

only problem with trying somebody elses gauge is that little crush fitting that holds the vacuum tube in the back of the gauge... 1 time use only.. and I was unable to find any replacements at like homedepot/lowes.. but might be an automobile only type size found at like an advanced auto.. or NAPA or something.

edit: if anything, i would data log.. even at idle.. see what the car is seeing vs. what the gauge says.. im not sure if they both use the same method of measuring vacuum (in.hg vs. just negative psi).. but either way, there will be a way to convert...

only problem with trying somebody elses gauge is that little crush fitting that holds the vacuum tube in the back of the gauge... 1 time use only.. and I was unable to find any replacements at like homedepot/lowes.. but might be an automobile only type size found at like an advanced auto.. or NAPA or something.

Oh damn, didn't know that ! Thanks for the check! :)

On second thought, maybe I'm thinking of something completely different....I'm thinking of OCD taking his gauge off, entirely, and then plugging in his setup into another vehicle at their manifold tap position.... Dunno if this makes sense? :confused:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I guess it depends on the gauge...

On second thought.. it would be possible I guess to test somebody elses gauge on the car.. mine had 2 connections.. one held the tube in place and made the seal.. then you screwed that fitting onto the back of the gauge.. so you wouldnt have to actually break the connection with the vacuum tubing.. As long as each gauge had the same fitting on the back, it would work fine.

He could do all of that I guess.. but with the runs under the dash and stuff like that.. it would be alot of effort for a $15 gauge.

He could do all of that I guess.. but with the runs under the dash and stuff like that.. it would be alot of effort for a $15 gauge.

Definitely true!

I guess I could always cut the tube and insert another connector piece when I wanted to reattach it. That wouldn't be so hard. It's not really concerning to me though. I'm sure the car is working right and the boost gauge for some reason isn't dipping below 10. I've seen pictures of other boost gauges at idle and they are in the same position though... Maybe I should take the lens off and just write '20' where it says '10'. :D That'll fix it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

well crap..I tried this route and it turns out the gauge is way off

It's completely inaccurate for boost and vaccum. It reads no more than 8 or 9psi under full boost and I tested it outside the car with a compressor and regulator and it reads 13psi for an actual of 20psi.

I'm gonna try and return it and get an autometer one instead I think.

sigh...o well.

That's why they are 'el cheapo' I guess. :lol: I'm sure he'll exchange it, but good luck getting a refund. I had to return one of my gauges because of a dent in the bezel ring when I got it and it took 2 weeks for them to figure out they actually got it back. They aren't the greatest in the world to deal with.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

yeah its funny the boost gauge has a dent like you describe and I was like whatever I just wnat it to work....turns out no luck I'm e-mailing him today to start the process. He makes me pay for all the shipping I bet right? What does the insurance go towards?

It sucks cause they match sooo well. sigh

• 2 weeks later...
the reason his vaccum isnt right at idle is probably because he has the hose from his vaccum line to the boost gauge pinched somewhere in the middle. i had the same problem i was running the correct boost but not the correct vaccum

Archived