LegacyGT.com

How Do I Get Rid of the OEM Spoiler?

SpeedNeeder

Yes, I did a search!

Most of the stuff I read was dated, and I was wondering if there was any new info on this, since I am not the only one who has/is wondering.

After having the car for about a month now, I find the OEM rear spoiler annoying in terms of visibility when backing up.

I would like to have a lip (deck) spoiler, but the OEM has those two dreaded holes in the trunk to screw it on.

I guess I could ask the dealer if he has a trunk to swap.

Any other ideas?

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Two options.

1. Trunk swap with another Legacy. I would suggest posting this in your regional forum.

2. Have the spoiler removed and the holes filled and painted by a body shop.

It may take awhile to find someone to swap trunks with you. Especially one that is local. I got lucky and found one a few days after posting it.

The second option will cost you. You'll have to pay for a body shop to fill and paint the holes. But, you could re-coup some of that by selling off the OEM spoiler.

It isn't hard to take your trunk off. Ever taken a door off it's hinges? Basically the same thing here only there is a plug you have to undo because of the brake light in the spoiler. It's a 20 minute job tops.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Trunk swap was super easy. If I remember correctly it's 4-6 bolts on the trunk lid itself. You will need 2 people to help you out.

The hardest part was to re-align the trunk lid. It took us about 20 minutes to re-align (loosening, tightening, readjusting) his. Mine was aligned as soon as we put it on my car!

Basically the same thing here only there is a plug you have to undo because of the brake light in the spoiler. It's a 20 minute job tops.

Ohh yes, dont' forget that. They tape down the harnes so you'll have to cut the tape all the way to the connector. Make sure you don't cut the wires! You'll also have to undo the plastic popits that secure the harness to the body structure.

Yikes! $500??? I'm glad I was able to find someone to swap trunks with. I would have had a body shop work on the trunk if I didn't. I'm glad it never came to that.

How long did that work take?

Yes, I did a search!

Most of the stuff I read was dated, and I was wondering if there was any new info on this, since I am not the only one who has/is wondering.

After having the car for about a month now, I find the OEM rear spoiler annoying in terms of visibility when backing up.

I would like to have a lip (deck) spoiler, but the OEM has those two dreaded holes in the trunk to screw it on.

I guess I could ask the dealer if he has a trunk to swap.

Any other ideas?

Drive an STi, then come back and tell us what you think ;)

best is to do a trunk swap.. but if you do want to take it off, there are about 4 main screws of which you'll have a fun time looking for them under the trunk lid.. the next thing is actually filling those holes up by bondo or welding a sheet of aluminum to them and repaint the trunk lid.

The dealer isnt going to do a trunk swap, they'll make you buy one from the parts department. (I've asked about that in the past when I was asking about the STi with the silver wheels and wanted gold and also with the wing vs wingless GT).. it's the car's package listing.. you know what I mean?

Keefe

Archived