LegacyGT.com

Rookie doing a Swift Spring Install pls comment

Postman

Fellow Lgt'rs

First Time ever installing springs, went with the swifts.

I want to thank Hal9e3 http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5757 for his excellent step by step BUT I still need a little help/correcting. Warning this is going to be long..

I finished the rear springs took me 3 hours:icon_sad: Not sure if I did it right but they are on. That bottom bolt was a serious PITA, u will need a breaker bar and if your like me u will slightly dent the rotor dust guard. My concerns are:

* After reassembling the springs they were not taught, everything spun freely, I am assuming this is because they are shorter then stock, is this a concern ?

* The rubber tubular bushing type material (rubber sleeve) that is wrapped around the spring, I put it on the bottom ring as a metal to metal cushion, is that correct ?

* If not any damage done?

* I reassembled and installed everything best I could, then good and tightend all the hardware; does it matter which way the top alignment or bottom alignment goes back in ?

I ask this because of Hal9e3 writes "Place the upper mount on top of the spring, making sure to duplicate the original mount-to-shock alignment AND Decompress the spring, again taking care to maintain the top hat's relationship to the shock and the spring's seating in the lower mount AND Place the upper mount on top of the spring, making sure to duplicate the original mount-to-shock alignment.

* It seemed pretty universal to me am I wrong?

* For the fronts if I am getting an alignment afterward do I need to keep track of the bolt positions ?

* When I remove the lower 2 bolts does the cotrol arm fall right to the floor or is it a slow drop ?

Sorry for the earfull but I am excited (my 1st mod) and concerned for suspension failure.

Thank you

Dominick

Because the springs are shorter they wont have that same tension as the stock ones... so if you ever decide to remove these springs you wont need to compress the springs...on the front strut there are 2 bolts on the lower bracket.. make a notch on the top bolt and lower bracket of the strut. this will help you keep things pretty even for your alignment... in the rear it should look like this once you reassemble it. hope this helps ya..

Picture by: WalkerGthttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/624857/Rearspringwithcompressor.jpg

Got Torque ?

* After reassembling the springs they were not taught, everything spun freely, I am assuming this is because they are shorter then stock, is this a concern ?

Yes, the spring should seat firmly against the upper and lower mount. If it doesn't it's going to twist under rebound and clunk under compression.

* The rubber tubular bushing type material (rubber sleeve) that is wrapped around the spring, I put it on the bottom ring as a metal to metal cushion, is that correct ?

This is the correct orientation for Pinks so I assume it's the same for Swifts.

* I reassembled and installed everything best I could, then good and tightend all the hardware; does it matter which way the top alignment or bottom alignment goes back in ?

If you don't get the alignment right you'll have to turn the shock shaft in the body to get the bolts lined up. Can't say for sure but this is probably not desirable. With your current setup the shock should turn freely without having to turn the shaft - but it shouldn't be that way.

* For the fronts if I am getting an alignment afterward do I need to keep track of the bolt positions ?

If you're going to get an alignment it shouldn't matter.

* When I remove the lower 2 bolts does the cotrol arm fall right to the floor or is it a slow drop ?

Hmm, don't remember. Once the control arm was loose did it move freely or did it bind? If the latter then maybe bearings? Hope all this helps and that other, more experienced suspension gurus weigh in. After all, I only did it once:)

• 1 month later...
Congrats on install!!...Mind posting pics Before&After ...im in the market for springs and cant decide between pinks or swifts...i like the sound of -25mm in front and -15mm in back with the swifts..just want to see it on the LGT...i saw it on a mazda speed6 and it looked Awesome...thanks in advance!!!!

Archived