LegacyGT.com

Cold Air Intake

sublibwag

Has anyone fitted a CAI to their car without retuning their computer?

I have got my hands on one and was wondering whether I can fit it without a tune (to be done when financial situation permits) and whether this would improve performance without creating any issues?

The CAI does have a mounting for the stock air flow sensor so I am assuming that fuel mixture would be adjusted automatically rather than run lean due to higher air volume being available?

My understanding is that GTs are tuned to run rich from factory in order to protect the engine so maybe this would be just what is needed to squeeze out few extra ponies and improve fuel consumption?

(well maybe not improve fuel consumption as someone suggested on another forum but at least improve performance):)

Any ideas/experiences?

yes, several people have done a CAI with no tuning.

general consensus is that the factory tuned ECU has enough overhead built into the tune to compinsate for any anomolies created by a CAI. So you should be safe.

Off the shelf tunes may or may not have that margin of safety built in to them - thus potentially causing problems with the intake. (running lean, etc)

so yes, I think you're thoughts on this are correct - with the factory running over-ly rich, you will safe. Although it is always interesting to see before an after logs to compare against.

*(however, gains from CAI are debatable... my personal opinion is that the $200 it costs to purchase one could be much better spent else where.. light weight pulley or uppipe, for example)

I ran the AEM CAI for about 3 months or so maybe UNTUNED. Was just fine. I did eventually get a custom tune, the day after installing my catless DP. I know with both untuned my a/f was EXTREMELY off. With just the CAI, not a SRI, you should be ok. I would NOT do any other mods to the engine without a custom tune. It sounded nice too. VERY loud spool compared to removing the silencer.

I waited till the night before the tune to install the intake, since I knew the a/f and EGTs would be messed up. So I didnt drive the car hard at all, was safe the way I did it.

I have the K&N Typhoon system. No custom tune, but I run a MBC along with it. It made a few ponies, but I just ordered an AP, and I may take it off.

I was disapointed with how much intake noise make it's way into the cabin. I almost took it right off. I swear the car pulled better from 5-6000 rpm with the stock airbox, but my G-timer did show an improvement.

I hope there is a map for the AP that is set for the K&N system.

I have the K&N Typhoon system. No custom tune, but I run a MBC along with it. It made a few ponies, but I just ordered an AP, and I may take it off.

I was disapointed with how much intake noise make it's way into the cabin. I almost took it right off. I swear the car pulled better from 5-6000 rpm with the stock airbox, but my G-timer did show an improvement.

I hope there is a map for the AP that is set for the K&N system.

I know a guy with a STi, custom tuned for exhaust, BOV, intake, etc. a bunch of stuff i believe. He had a custom tune, than installed his K&N at a later date. He brought it back again for a tune the day after the install. His a/f was perfect they said. It leaned it out like 1/100th or so.

Archived