LegacyGT.com

First Open Track Day with the Legacy GT

Clapper

I was fortunate enough to get an invite to the Crown Regions' Drivers Education event at Roebling Road last weekend and decided to give the LGT its first taste of a road course. Roebling Road is a 2.02 mile course just North of Savannah,Ga and a really fast, but techinically demanding course. I figured that the Legacy deserved a chance to mix it up with the Bavarian crowd and all I can say is that I (and several other 993 owners) was amazed at how well this car can hold it own. The other thing that really surprised me was how fast the Legacy drinks fuel under prolonged periods of WOT. I entered the Sat. session with a half tank and after two 20 minute sessions I was getting fuel starvation in the straights, due to a nearly empty tank. If any of you regularly track your cars you must know this already, but I think I was getting about 5mpg. The car had more than enough poise and power to keep up with and pass several 944, 911 and 993. The AWD is amazing and the Bridgestone RE92 rarely if ever protested under the cornering forces. It was truly refreshing to see a car that cost a fraction of most Porsches, do so well against them. Now I probably won't get invited back!

yes, the ECU just floods the motor when you hammer the throttle all the way down.. it's best if you can feel for the timing/ignition to catch up with the fueling.. the turbo just doesnt cough up enough air for the rest of the car to run faster. You can still get about 8mpg if you dont just hammer the throttle.. it's just part of the ECU programming that's screwing us over.

As for the course, I never drove RR, but I will one day with the NASA crowd. Did you go out there with a bunch of Porsche guys that were new to the course? Because most of the 911s and 996s can walk me at pretty much any given track, they are just that much lighter.. then again, they are race prepped cars.

Keefe

Yeah, the non turbo Porsches were able to run away from me in the straights, but I would catch them in the turns. Since this was a DE, passing was encouraged. I still wished for a little more speed in the straights, I am sure everyone does.

Sounds like you had a good time. I've always found RE92s inadequate in grip, at least since I got the LGT. On the 01 Outback I never really noticed because they were the only thing I had driven on. But then I got Michelin Pilot Sports on the Outback, and I was amazed by the added grip. Then I ditched the Michelins for another set of RE92s, this time on a different car though. :D This summer I plan on switching to some stickier tires.

Archived