LegacyGT.com

Thought I would share my tale of woe here.

Last week, my 97 OB Legacy Limited Wagon started making a noise that was so unearthly and foul that the car died on the NYS Thruway, just south of the Exit 6 tolls.

The banging and screeching had to have been heard to be believed. :icon_twis

Long story short...the bearings on my second piston went and f'ed up the whole crankshaft. I'm getting a replacement engine through my warranty, so that is a small blessing. They're throwing in a new rear oil seal and timing belt as well. :)

While I've someone else paying for the labor, I'm going to take the opportunity to put in new hoses, fan belts, etc.

I'm curious if anyone else has had the same or similar problems?

Yes how many miles and how is the warranty still valid?

This is what happened to the kid who bought my '96. $1100. However, I have never heard of this happening anywhere else.

Of all the car problems I have had with my LGT, the EJ25 has been great.

It has 70,000 miles on it. I bought my car a year ago, February, with 63,000 miles on it. We live in NYC and only use it on the weekends, so the mileage doesn't really accumulate that quickly.

I got the warranty when I bought it, from Preferred Warranty. I have to say they've been great to deal with. They're sending my guy an engine with approximately 68,000 on it. Without the coverage, I'd be looking at over $2,500 for the engine and then about 15 hours of labor. That would have been ugly.

The reality is, I'll probably have a fantastic running, overhauled engine, when I get the car back in a few weeks.

Archived