LegacyGT.com

Outback XT better performance car base?

If you're planning on swapping out the suspension, I'm thinking that the OBXT could be the best performance bet. For one thing, you should be in a truck class in AutoX that should be less competitive if you want trophies. OK, aside from that, here's what I'm thinking: Flares for wider tires- Supposedly, you can fit 245s on the FXT. Maybe those Outback flares will allow for wider meat than the standard 225/55/17 4.444 final- I worked out the conversion, and the 4.444 perfectly equalizes the increased tire size. You can bling bling with 245/40/19 on the street and go to some 245/35/17 for the track to get the "spec B" gearing advantage. Downside would be that the front bumper probably creates some serious front end lift. I dig the rally looking fogs though.

I don't think that the aerodynamics would be an issue at all. I do agree that it would be sweet to put some serious rubber under those fenders. Then of couse i would have to delete that outback badging. I think the accented front bumper looks waaaay better with those fogs. I wonder if I could do a front bumper swap to get those fogs? :o

It's an interesting proposition for sure. Similar basis to the dropped FXT's. No flower power here anyone. Move along. :D That would be some serious rubber, particularly if AutoXing and tracking. Could put a LOT of brake in there. Not sure how much your diffs would like the extra friction though. How about 8.5" wheels and 225 to 235 rubber in a low profile. square sidewall equals killer handling with decent drivability. I can't remember who said it, it was either one of the Apex guys or a reputable tuner that said anything beyond 225 wide starts to be a burden for daily driving, at least on Subarus. Drops overall efficiency with the increased friction, and turning is harder, and some other points.

As I posted in another thread, the Outback sits pretty high, which means that the ancillary suspension bits are meant to accomodate that extra height. Might not be as simple as wheels/struts/springs. It sure isn't for the current Outbacks, as people are discovering. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']As I posted in another thread, the Outback sits pretty high, which means that the ancillary suspension bits are meant to accomodate that extra height. Might not be as simple as wheels/struts/springs. It sure isn't for the current Outbacks, as people are discovering. Kevin[/quote] Dang. I was/am hoping that it will be like a Forester using Impreza bits.

I don't want to attach the big picture here, but I'll find it later to link. I've got the photoshop of the white Legacy coupe with big foglights on my desktop background. It finally hit me that a bumper could be made for the Outback that has the shape of the Spec B but with big fog lights exactly like the photoshop. But what's better, it would have the flares as well.

Are the bumper beams of the Legacy & OB identical? I know they said the Impreza bumper beam was large enough they couldn't use the larger fogs. Will the beam need to be swapped too for the Leg/OB deal or what?

I don't see any reason why the bumper beams should be any different, but anything is possible. Maybe the OB does have a smaller beam and wouldn't handle crash tests as well as the Legacy. Another reason for switching it to a truck? I dunno.

Archived