LegacyGT.com

Re: dunno which is better

html79

Save up for AP or buy a boost gauge (glowshift)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Save up for AP or buy a boost gauge (glowshift)

• Access Port
    • Boost Gauge

^ Not necessarily. :)

Certainly, the AP's ability to read boost makes the purchase of a boost gauge less than completely "performance-minded" for someone who is worried about their overall budget, but most of the time, aftermarket gauges that specifically monitor one (or more) parameters truly does give the driver a bit more control in monitoring the health and well-being of the vehicle.

A boost gauge in and of itself can help determine if the vehicle is huffing/puffing properly - but it can also help visualize problems such as boost spike or boost creep, and similarly be used (in the simplest of sense) to determine if the vehicle is suffering from a boost leak.

Similarly, an aftermarket oil pressure gauge is nice to have as Subaru sets the low-pressure warning level at a ridiculously low point in our LGTs.

A properly placed EGT probe, as well as a wideband A/F readout, can often clue an operator in to a potentially catastrophic situation.

Certainly, gauges carry with them a fair amount of bling, but proper gauge selection as well as knowing how to properly use/monitor them truly carries with it advantages that cannot be said to be made obsolete/redundant by just vehicle idiot lights. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Good points about their usefulness. I imagine they'd be more useful once you really start tweaking things & become more conscious of what the engine pieces are doing. I guess for a first mod I'd be much more inclined to go for the performance boost before wanting to monitor it tho.

I guess for a first mod I'd be much more inclined to go for the performance boost before wanting to monitor it tho.

^ My feelings are the same, bro. :)

The way I'm reading the posts above, I'm thinking that yes, the boost-gauge classifies more as "bling" simply because the AP can also read boost - and if, at this time, the original poster can only afford one (assuming that the balance of the money from the boost gauge purchase would be saved towards the AP at his next "buy time"), I'd be much more inclined to go with the AP, which carries with it much more functional promise.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived