LegacyGT.com

Emission testing worthless

see_obxt

This is about my 1985 Jeep Cj7. It has a Mopar MPI fuel injection I put on 6 years ago. It's passed three times. This time, my son took it to the testing center and they failed it for a technicality, they didn't see the CARB approval sticker. So, i call them up and they say to take it back. I go back and they then want me to make an appointment with a tech off Federal and 2nd ave. We spend an hour going over fuel injection 101 and it passes with great numbers again. They wanted me to explain the diagrams with the instructions, where the MAP was, where the MAF was, how the air recirculates, and where the speed sensor was... But, they failed it because I didn't install a check engine light. Well, I stopped at Pep boys and connected up a light and will take it back to the tech tomorrow. I'm venting here but after three inspections and six years and great pollution numbers, you think they would have caught it! The dude at the testing station said they flagged it because kids mod their vehicles and they need to be inspected better. I hear they will be doing away with Clean Air Colorado. I wonder why...

I asked the tech about Subi mods. They are cracking down on all exhaust related mods. Larger turbos are not a problem though.

I can see it, the fact that they failed you for the check engine light at least. Check engine lights have everything to do with emissions and that makes sense to me. And as far as your exhaust, technically it is illegal to alter your exhaust in ANY way wether that be cats to mufflers.

jmanzs: I was thinking that too but it didn't fail for the check engine light until the states' master mechanic decided that the jeep should be tested as a 95 not an 85 and that was last minute and after he initially approved my FI system. It passed three times before and now again, guess that's all that matters.

The Mopar FI is real clean and the emissions are that of a new car. Now, i have a waiver stating that a fuel injected vehicle does not require an air injection system of a carburated vehicle, the reason for the initial failure.

There was another mechanic that said the initial testers should have looked at the stickers under the hood or just the intake manifold, they could have seen it was FI and not a carburator. They all know the system I put in, it's a good job and I shouldn't have been hassled because this is really what they want, clean vehicles. The numbers proved it.

I did learn that they will count the cats you have, it's ok to replace a cat with a hi-flow cat as long as you have a cat, large tin can exhausts are targets (duh), and it actually costs more to test a vehicle as we pay...

Was it originally carburated? What kinda pcm do you have now with the injectors? If it passes the sniffer and your exhaust isnt to modified I dont see why they have to be on your case. I would suggest registering it outside of the Denver Metro area if at all possible then you wont have to take emissions. :icon_twis

Yes, it was origionally carburated. The PCM is a 1995 Jeep Wrangler, part of the Mopar factory kit. My sentiments exactly about them being on my case. It is registered in Douglas County. They made me go to the Master Tech in Denver for analysis. It was just laziness on the initial emission tester that made me go through all the proving. It's over, I have my waiver stating a fuel injected vehicle does not have a carburator...

This is also a word of caution to anyone else that mods the fuel system, even if for the better. Know how the system works and be prepared to prove it.

Archived